Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Matt MacDonald <ma...@mitre.org> on 2003/05/21 15:38:44 UTC

Using existing LDAP schema for authentication and roles and groups

Hi I am new to Jetspeed and Turbine but quite familiar with portal
applications as I have been actively developing a portal solution on Sun
One Portal 6.0 which supports 5000 users on a corporate intranet. I
decided to take a look at Jetspeed to compare the capabilities of the
two platforms. So far I like what Jetspeed provides WRT developing and
deploying a portlet and it seems much easier than to do so within the
Sun framework. I was hoping to have a few questions answered or at least
be guided in the right direction to learn more about these topics.

Authentication:
Reading through the documentation and mailing list postings about the
LDAP authentication topic it seems that there is very little mentioned
about how to authenticate a user against an existing LDAP schema. We
have an existing LDAP schema that is maintained by another group and the
schema is fixed. I would like to configure the Jetspeed/Turbine
authentication mechanism to use our existing LDAP directory to validate
username and password pairs and construct a JetspeedUser based upon
existing LDAP attributes. My access to this LDAP server is read only.
Could someone please provide me with detailed instructions or point me
in the right direction?

Roles and Groups
Our existing LDAP schema contains information about roles and
organizations (groups) - Is it possible to bind these existing
attributes to the Jetspeed Role and Group concept?

The authentication area is the one thing really holding me back from
pushing the use of Jetspeed as the implementation contains most
everything that we would want to use.

-thanks
-matt

Re: Using existing LDAP schema for authentication and roles and groups

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Wednesday, May 21, 2003, at 01:08  PM, Matt MacDonald wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> Thanks for your detailed instructions - I'll start coding my own
> authentication service. Does anyone know the status of fitting all
> these ldap pieces together? ie. using external ldap for
> authentication, binding Jetspeed user, role and groups to ldap
> attributes within Jetspeed? Who is working on it? Any published design
> documents? Target release dates?
>
> Again thanks to everyone who responded to this thread.

I know this is an important feature, but I don't have much time for it
now unfortunately.
However others are actively working with Jetspeed and LDAP.
Try talking to Sami and Ender on the jetspeed-dev list

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software

Re: Using existing LDAP schema for authentication and roles and groups

Posted by Matt MacDonald <ma...@mitre.org>.
Hi Dave,

Posted by David E Noel <de...@us.ibm.com>.
Matt,
[...]

        To:     Jetspeed Users List <je...@jakarta.apache.org>
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: Using existing LDAP schema for authentication

YNT: Using existing LDAP schema for authentication and roles and groups

Posted by Ender Hikmet KILIÇOÐLU <en...@kilicoglu.nom.tr>.
Possible using some tricky method (I d?d it for one time)
first method to sperate some user and role lookups for database and users.
For example you had to look db for anon, admin and turbine user. All group
info comes from database also but user queries goest o ldap.
Second method is manually populating necessary objects. You will create and
put on cache on initialization time.

Next you had to change ldap fields for your needs.
Also as you dont now auth method on ldap site you had to make some logic for
auto bind.
So its not a clean wa but it works
Ender

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Wednesday, May 21, 2003, at 12:20  PM, Matt MacDonald wrote:

> Just in case my question wasn't exactly clear... I understand that the
> security service is pluggable and that there is an LDAP implementation
> but from the documentation it seems that you are forced into using a
> new schema that Jetspeed defines be it stored in LDAP or a relational
> database. Am I wrong in making that statement?
>
> The requirement that a new user schema be generated somehow doesn't
> seem realistic. Many corporatations already have invested a lot of
> time in well defined user schemas that reside in databases (relational
> or LDAP) and it would be difficult to convince staff to adopt a
> new/modify existing schemas to support a portal server. I speak from
> experience on this one... I saw how long it took to get one new
> attribute added to the People object of our LDAP schema.

I understand. Would it be possible to take it as an example of how to
write your own security services. That shouldn't be too large of an
effort.
If you only want to implement authentication, then simply write your
own authentication service and leave the rest to the default Jetspeed
implementations, or disable the parts of the portal security not
required.

> I think the ability for Jetspeed to utilize & integrate existing user
> information should be of a high priority if it is to compete with the
> commercial products. The Sun portal server that we use allows us to
> authenticate users using LDAP, Cert, Unix, RADIUS or membership and
> then dynamically generates a portal user profile. I'm not stating that
> the Sun portal server is the best product in the world it has it's
> drawbacks as well - it suffers from some of the same problems that
> Jetspeed does in it's inability to bind ldap attributes to portal user
> objects and suffers the same problem with groups and roles. We have
> talked with Sun about this and it is a high priority item for them to
> put this functionality back in the product (it was in the 3.0 > version).

It is a goal for Jetspeed to bind LDAP attributes to portal user
objects with no coding. But currently its not possible.

> I really like what I see in other areas of the product and would like
> to encourage our corporation to use and support Jetspeed but until
> some of these issues are addressed it would be difficult to promote
> it's use.

Well, thats where the open source model comes in. You could write the
piece that you need and hopefully contribute it back.

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software

Re: Using existing LDAP schema for authentication and roles and groups

Posted by Matt MacDonald <ma...@mitre.org>.

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

--
David Sean Taylor