Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Freek Segers <fr...@nerocmediaware.nl> on 2003/08/05 15:01:32 UTC

Tomcat 4.1.24: details of ServletExceptions

Hello,

I've been developing with Tomcat and Struts from about a year and a
half now. Ever since I started using Tomcat 4.1 I don't get very much
information when a ServletException occurs in a JSP page. The error
page just says that there was a JspException caused by a
ServletException but there's no clue to what actually went wrong.

Is this a configuration matter? I've already set the Jasper
configuration parameter logVerbosityLevel to DEBUG, but that doesn't
help (The JSPs are compiled allright.)

I would appreciate some help; developing like this is a trial and error
process.

Thanks,

Freek Segers
Senior Systeemontwikkelaar

NEROC 'MEDIAWARE
De Run 1131
5503 LB  Veldhoven
T +31 (0)40 258 66 66
F +31 (0)40 258 66 77

E-mail: freek.segers@nerocmediaware.nl
Internet: http://www.nerocmediaware.nl

Re: Tomcat 4.1.24: details of ServletExceptions

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
Yup, this is a problem since the root cause is never really exposed. An easy
workaround is to create your own custom error handler and use the following
logic:
Throwable rootCause;
rootCause =(Throwable)request.getAttribute("javax.servlet.error.exception");

while (rootCause!=null) {
   doMagicPrintStackTraceAndErrorMessageMethod(rootCause);
   if (rootCause instance of ServletException) {
     rootCause = ((ServletException)rootCause).getRootCause();
   } else if (rootCause instance of JspException) {
     rootCause = ((JspException)rootCause).getRootCause();
   } else  {
     rootCause  = null;
   }
}