Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Schneider, Eric" <es...@tiaa-cref.org> on 2002/07/10 14:39:54 UTC

Struts 1.0.2 errors

Hi,

Maybe I'm missing something obvious here.  I don't remember seeing this
behavior the few times I've used 1.1.

It seems that any type of runtime error in your struts tags (misspelled
property names, form actions, etc.), the page ceases to generate and doesn't
tell you anything meaningful about the problem.

So, if you have a fairly large jsp it becomes difficult to find the culprit
when your app just serves a blank page(it only generates up to the opening
body tag and stops).

Is this the normal behavior?

Thanks,
Eric

This message, including any attachments, contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact sender immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all copies.  You are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.
TIAA-CREF

Re: Struts 1.0.2 errors

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Schneider, Eric wrote:

> Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 06:39:54 -0600
> From: "Schneider, Eric" <es...@tiaa-cref.org>
> Subject: Struts 1.0.2 errors
>
> Hi,
>
> Maybe I'm missing something obvious here.  I don't remember seeing this
> behavior the few times I've used 1.1.
>
> It seems that any type of runtime error in your struts tags (misspelled
> property names, form actions, etc.), the page ceases to generate and doesn't
> tell you anything meaningful about the problem.
>
> So, if you have a fairly large jsp it becomes difficult to find the culprit
> when your app just serves a blank page(it only generates up to the opening
> body tag and stops).
>
> Is this the normal behavior?

It's pretty difficult to answer a question that general.  Can you describe
particular scenarios, so we can figure out whether the error messages
generated by Struts could be improved for those use cases?  And the best
way to make that happen would be to submit enhancement requests in the bug
tracking system:

  http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/

with a specific example of each kind of problem, and your suggested
improvement in the text of the message.

> Thanks,
> Eric

Craig