Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by dk...@molex.com on 2001/07/02 16:35:20 UTC

tomcat gui

Hi,

I'd like to develop GUI for Tomcat (for managing users, contexts, load
on servlet container, etc.), but I have no notion where to start.

Please advice, do I have use ContextManager, or connectors to touch
Tomcat's environment ?

Does anybody working on this already ?

Thanks
Dalibor

Re: tomcat gui

Posted by Andy Armstrong <an...@tagish.com>.
Web based? If not, why not? ;-)

There's recently been a similar discussion on this list.

--
Andy Armstrong, Tagish

Re: tomcat gui

Posted by Brad Cox <bc...@virtualschool.edu>.
At 8:15 AM -0700 7/2/01, <cm...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>The "right" thing is to use a 2-layer architecture, with the backend
>beeing a set of servlets/jsps in /admin, with minimal ( or no ) GUI. The
>frontend can be a swing GUI, a webapp ( that can run on a different
>container and manage a set of tomcat instances ), or a module part of one
>of the existing admin GUIs.

Wouldn't this mean that the GUI would be ussless until the things
tomcat depends on (apache to some extent (port 8080 conflicts),
connectors, classloaders, jar files) are all exactly right?

In my experience, these are precisely the things that most often go
wrong and generate the most obscure errors. By this reasoning, the
GUI should concentrate on these things first and avoid relying on
tomcat-based functionality until the fundamentals are known to be
right.

PS: Building Java GUIs is straightforward given Visual Age or simlar.
The hard part is understanding what tomcat needs to get on its feet
and building this understanding into a GUI, either by implementing it
independently or by catching and reporting exceptions thrown by
existing tomcat code.
--
---
For industrial age goods there were checks and credit cards.

Re: tomcat gui

Posted by cm...@yahoo.com.
On Mon, 2 Jul 2001 dkalna@molex.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to develop GUI for Tomcat (for managing users, contexts, load
> on servlet container, etc.), but I have no notion where to start.
>
> Please advice, do I have use ContextManager, or connectors to touch
> Tomcat's environment ?

Is it a real GUI ( swing, etc ) or a webapp ?

For the second, you can look at /admin and extend it with what you need.

For the first - it depends on how far you want to go. You may take a look
at linuxConf, webmin, cobalt's admin interface, comanche - all are
_excelent_ admin tools, able to manage almost anything ( dns, sendmail,
firewalls, ... ). It would be probably easier to either extend one of them
with a tomcat module, without writing a full GUI. Or learn from them. The
main problem is the language they use - C, perl, php, tcl - but some allow
you to write modules in any language.

The "right" thing is to use a 2-layer architecture, with the backend
beeing a set of servlets/jsps in /admin, with minimal ( or no ) GUI. The
frontend can be a swing GUI, a webapp ( that can run on a different
container and manage a set of tomcat instances ), or a module part of one
of the existing admin GUIs.

The backend can use simple post ( no need for SOAP or anything
sophisticated for now ), it should be easy to support even multiple
servlet containers ( as long as they have similar "scheme" for the admin
services).

Costin