Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Despot Jakimovski <de...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/27 12:12:14 UTC

version checkout

Hi,

I created an issue in JIRA
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-3574>and now I want to
develop/contribute. I would first like to create a patch
for the Solr version 3.6.0, than also include a patch for versions 4 and 5.
Is this possible or can I only create patch for last version?

As much as I read from How To
Contribute<http://wiki.apache.org/solr/HowToContribute>and from what I
can see from
here <https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev/>, there are trunk, tags,
branches and nightly available. What version is the trunk? I think I
shouldn't touch tags (those are "final" versions), nor branches (these is
big functionality branched code which might differ from the trunk). Can
someone please help me get up to speed with this?

Cheers,
despot

Re: version checkout

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: So I guess there is no way of me doing a patch for 3.6.0 since the issue in
: JIRA <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-3574> I reported is not a
: bug (but a new feature). Ok. Than, I'll do a patch for the 4.0

As a general rule, features should always be developed against trunk, and
then once all the kinks are worked out and test are written, they can be
backported -- usually backporting is as easy as an "svn merge" command, so
90% of the time there is no reason to worry about attaching specific
patches for each backported branch to jira (unless you really want to, or
if you are aware of some specific deviation in the branches that will make
the backporting hard)

The reason to always start with trunk and work backwards is because that
way you never risk getting into a situation where a feature is implimented
in version X, but then version X+1 comes out and the feature is now
missing.

Bug fixes should usualy be developed in the same way, the only differnece
is sometimes the bug only affects specific versions, so you start with the
newest version the bug is known to affect (ie: maybe because of some
refactoring or other improvements a bug only exists in 3.6 and 4.0, but
not on trunk)

-Hoss

Re: version checkout

Posted by Despot Jakimovski <de...@gmail.com>.
Thanks a bunch for the input!

So I guess there is no way of me doing a patch for 3.6.0 since the issue in
JIRA <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-3574> I reported is not a
bug (but a new feature). Ok. Than, I'll do a patch for the 4.0
(branch_4x<https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev/branches/branch_4x/>)
and 5.0 (trunk). This probably will require me to change the Affected
version and Fix version on the
issue<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-3574>
.

Thanks again,