Posted to dev@avro.apache.org by Ismaël Mejía <ie...@gmail.com> on 2020/06/22 15:42:31 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Avro 1.10.0 RC2

Hi everyone,

I'd like to propose the following RC2 to be released as the official Apache
Avro 1.10.0 release.

The commit id is 6b55656b25cacf0d88cf44d9d802ce46dfaadc83

* This corresponds to the tag: release-1.10.0-rc2
* https://github.com/apache/avro/releases/tag/release-1.10.0-rc2

The release tarball, signature, and checksums are here (revision 40003):
* https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/avro/avro-1.10.0-rc2/

You can find the KEYS file here:
* https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/avro/KEYS

Binary artifacts for Java are staged in Nexus here:
* https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/org/apache/avro/avro/1.10.0/

This release includes 187 Jira issues (Thanks Ryan Skraba for the highlights)
https://jira.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20AVRO%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%201.10.0

* Some interesting highlights (Thanks Ryan Skraba for the list):

C#
- [AVRO-2389] Add Avro serialization for POCO (Reflection)

Java
- [AVRO-2723] Automatically find defaults on POJO when using reflection.
- [AVRO-2278] Now throws an exception when getting a non-existent
field from a record
- [AVRO-2335] Remove Joda Time library.
- [AVRO-2438] Better support for URI and URL types.

Perl
- [AVRO-1461] Distribute as a CPAN module.

PHP
- [AVRO-2527] Update to PHP 7.x

Python
- [AVRO-2656] avro-python package is now the preferred python3 library
and avro-python3 is prepared to be deprecated
- [AVRO-2387] type checking added to python

Ruby
- [AVRO-1740] Support fingerprinting.
- [AVRO-2535] Support enum defaults.
- [AVRO-2545] Support aliases.

* Upgrade dependencies to latest versions, including CVE fixes.
* Multiple fixes and more...

Please download, verify, and test. This vote will remain open for at least
72 hours. Given sufficient votes, I would like to close after noon UTC
Friday, June 12th, 2020

[ ] +1 Release this as Apache Avro 1.10.0
[ ] +0
[ ] -1 Do not release this because...

Best regards,
Ismaël Mejía

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Avro 1.10.0 RC2

Posted by Ismaël Mejía <ie...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Run full build in all languages, validated signatures
Tried with personal downstream project
Validated binary compatibility nothing unexpected

Posted by Ismaël Mejía <ie...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Driesprong, Fokko" <fo...@driesprong.frl>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.
+1 binding

--
Sean

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Avro 1.10.0 RC2

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
+1, looks good.   Thanks for the extra CVE fix.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org <ma...@apache.org> - http://dankulp.com/blog <http://dankulp.com/blog>

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Avro 1.10.0 RC2

Posted by Ryan Skraba <ry...@skraba.com>.
Hello!

I rechecked signatures and checksums on all of the artifacts.  I
repeated the same tests for parquet and all of our internal libraries
that use Java (especially the generic API).  Since the change since
RC1 was just a library and scope change for the maven plugin, I
checked with a couple of test projects using maven 3.3+ without any
issues.  When you check the new resolved dependencies in the pom, the
offending library is now in the provided scope.

Please don't forget to add to the release notes!

AVRO-2581: Maven plugin generates specific records with private fields.

+1 (non-binding) for me.

All my best, and good job!  Ryan

Posted by Ismaël Mejía <ie...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ismaël Mejía <ie...@gmail.com>.
I'm happy to announce that the vote has passed.
I'll start publishing the artifacts soon.

Thanks everyone,
Ismaël

Posted by Tim Perkins <tj...@cantab.net>.