Posted to users@maven.apache.org by John Glass <jo...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2014/06/25 18:48:49 UTC

Default version of maven-compiler-plugin

I'm using maven 3.2.1 and when I run maven with -X I notice that version 2.5.1 of the compiler plugin is used:

> [DEBUG] Goal: org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:2.5.1:compile (default-compile)

However, if I run

    mvn help:describe -Dplugin=compiler

I get:

Name: Maven Compiler Plugin
Group Id: org.apache.maven.plugins
Artifact Id: maven-compiler-plugin
Version: 3.1
Goal Prefix: compiler

What is the rationale for Maven using 2.5.1?

John

Re: Default version of maven-compiler-plugin

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
Another good reason to use a parent project to control plug-in
dependencies so that everyone working on a project uses the same tool
set to build the project regardless of the version of Maven.

Ron

On 26/06/2014 9:22 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> More of an oversight than anything. The version of the compiler plugin is controlled from the maven-core project and no one updated it before the 3.2.1 release. Or the 3.2.2 release for that matter. I think there have a been a couple issues so it hasn't been updated.
>
> I created a JIRA issue to track it:
>
> https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-5656
>
> On Jun 25, 2014, at 12:48 PM, John Glass <jo...@yahoo.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
>> I'm using maven 3.2.1 and when I run maven with -X I notice that version 2.5.1 of the compiler plugin is used:
>>
>>> [DEBUG] Goal: org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:2.5.1:compile (default-compile)
>> However, if I run
>>
>>      mvn help:describe -Dplugin=compiler
>>
>> I get:
>>
>> Name: Maven Compiler Plugin
>> Group Id: org.apache.maven.plugins
>> Artifact Id: maven-compiler-plugin
>> Version: 3.1
>> Goal Prefix: compiler
>>
>> What is the rationale for Maven using 2.5.1?
>>
>> John
> Thanks,
>
> Jason

> Jason van Zyl
> Founder,  Apache Maven
> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
> http://twitter.com/takari_io

Ron Wheeler
President
Artifact Software Inc
email: rwheeler@artifact-software.com
skype: ronaldmwheeler
phone: 866-970-2435, ext 102

Re: Default version of maven-compiler-plugin

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>.
More of an oversight than anything. The version of the compiler plugin is controlled from the maven-core project and no one updated it before the 3.2.1 release. Or the 3.2.2 release for that matter. I think there have a been a couple issues so it hasn't been updated.

I created a JIRA issue to track it:

https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-5656

On Jun 25, 2014, at 12:48 PM, John Glass <jo...@yahoo.com.INVALID> wrote:

> I'm using maven 3.2.1 and when I run maven with -X I notice that version 2.5.1 of the compiler plugin is used:
>
>> [DEBUG] Goal: org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:2.5.1:compile (default-compile)
>
> However, if I run
>
>     mvn help:describe -Dplugin=compiler
>
> I get:
>
> Name: Maven Compiler Plugin
> Group Id: org.apache.maven.plugins
> Artifact Id: maven-compiler-plugin
> Version: 3.1
> Goal Prefix: compiler
>
> What is the rationale for Maven using 2.5.1?
>
> John

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
http://twitter.com/takari_io

Re: Default version of maven-compiler-plugin

Posted by John Glass <jo...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Thank you. This behavior makes sense.

On Wednesday, June 25, 2014 8:48 PM, Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com> wrote:

Each Maven distribution has various built-in defaults, you can see the defaults for 3.2.1 here:

    https://github.com/apache/maven/blob/maven-3.2.1/maven-core/src/main/resources/META-INF/plexus/default-bindings.xml

The compiler plugin is explicitly set to 2.5.1 unless you override the version in your pom.xml (I believe this is for stability reasons)

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Glass <jo...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by John Glass <jo...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.