Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by aMark <fe...@gmail.com> on 2017/11/29 07:34:19 UTC

Number of open file handles keeps on increasing on Ignite node on adding a new cache

Hi,

I am running ignite cluster on replicated mode having 2 nodes on different
machines.
Whenever I create a cache and write to it through ignite client, number of
open file handles increases by close to 1000.

But these open file handles does not decreases even if I stop writing and
disconnect my client from the cluster. This is creating a problem in
scenario if I create many caches (around 30+) then my unix box (configured
with max 32K file handles) runs out of file handles.

Please suggest how can I overcome the problem of ever increasing number of
file handles.

PS: I am using Ignite 2.1 version. I am using "lsof | wc -l" command to
check open file handles on my unix box.

Re: Number of open file handles keeps on increasing on Ignite node on adding a new cache

Posted by aMark <fe...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for reply.

Yes I use persistent store. For each cache there are close to 1.2 million
entries and it creates close to 500 files(part*.bin) of 1 MB in Persistent
store directory but questions is why Ignite keeps file handles opens even
after there is no active reader/writer to that cache.

Rather than keeping file handles opens, it can keep information about the
files and can open file handles only in case read/write happens to cache.
Keeping file handles open doesn't seem right.

Re: Number of open file handles keeps on increasing on Ignite node on adding a new cache

Posted by afedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Do you use Ignite Persistent Store?
If that's the case, then for each cache partition there is a corresponding
file created.

Kind regards,
Alex

Re: Number of open file handles keeps on increasing on Ignite node on adding a new cache

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Sorry for a late reply.

Yes, this benefit is expected after you turn to the cache groups. Keep using them if the performance of Scan and SQL queries is at a desired level.

As per your question about the open file handles, there is an assumption that caches are updated frequently which would require to reopen the handles endlessly. This is why Ignite keeps them open all the times.

—
Denis

Posted by aMark <fe...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Denis.

In my case there is only one type of cache. If I put all the cache in single
group, will it help ?

Re: Number of open file handles keeps on increasing on Ignite node on adding a new cache

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
Hi,

You can leverage from Cache Groups if a total number of opened files is an issue for your environment:
https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/cache-groups <https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/cache-groups>

—
Denis