Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by shahab <sh...@gmail.com> on 2015/04/20 18:28:11 UTC

Getting " ParNew GC in ... CMS Old Gen ... " in logs

Hi,

I am keep getting following line in the cassandra logs, apparently
something related to Garbage Collection. And I guess this is one of the
signs why i do not get any response (i get time-out) when I query large
volume of data ?!!!

 ParNew GC in 248ms.  CMS Old Gen: 453244264 -> 570471312; Par Eden Space:
167712624 -> 0; Par Survivor Space: 0 -> 20970080

Is above line is indication of something that need to be fixed in the
system?? how can I resolve this?

best,
/Shahab

Re: Getting " ParNew GC in ... CMS Old Gen ... " in logs

Posted by Phil Yang <ud...@gmail.com>.
Only if there is a gc over more than 200ms it will be logged. You can use
jstat to see whether each young gen gc takes so long like this, if so, you
may need to reduce the size of young gen in conf/cassandra-env.sh to reduce
the stopping time. Of course it will make the gc triggered more frequently
so there is a trade off.

> I meant 248 milli seconds
>
> Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
> ------------------------------
>   *From*:"Anuj Wadehra" <an...@yahoo.co.in>
> *Date*:Mon, 20 Apr, 2015 at 11:41 pm
> *Subject*:Re: Getting " ParNew GC in ... CMS Old Gen ... " in logs
>
> I think this is just saying that young gen collection using Par new
> collector took 248 seconds. This is quite normal with CMS unless it happens
> too frequenltly several times in a sec. I think query time has more to do
> with read timeout in yaml. Try increasing it. If its a range query then
> please increase range timeout in yaml.
>
> Thanks
> Anuj Wadehra
>
> Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
> ------------------------------
> *From*:"shahab" <sh...@gmail.com>
> *Date*:Mon, 20 Apr, 2015 at 9:59 pm
> *Subject*:Getting " ParNew GC in ... CMS Old Gen ... " in logs
>
> Hi,
>
> I am keep getting following line in the cassandra logs, apparently
> something related to Garbage Collection. And I guess this is one of the
> signs why i do not get any response (i get time-out) when I query large
> volume of data ?!!!
>
>  ParNew GC in 248ms.  CMS Old Gen: 453244264 -> 570471312; Par Eden Space:
> 167712624 -> 0; Par Survivor Space: 0 -> 20970080
>
> Is above line is indication of something that need to be fixed in the
> system?? how can I resolve this?
>

> best,
> /Shahab

Phil Yang

Re: Getting " ParNew GC in ... CMS Old Gen ... " in logs

Posted by Anuj Wadehra <an...@yahoo.co.in>.
I meant 248 milli seconds

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android