Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by BugRat Mail System <to...@cortexity.com> on 2000/10/11 20:32:27 UTC

BugRat Report #245 has been filed.

Bug report #245 has just been filed.

   <http://znutar.cortexity.com:8888/BugRatViewer/ShowReport/245>

REPORT #245 Details.

Project: Tomcat
Category: Bug Report
SubCategory: New Bug Report
Class: swbug
State: received
Severity: serious
Confidence: public
Environment:
   Release: Tomcat 3.1
   JVM Release: 1.1.8
   Operating System: AIX
   OS Release: 4.3.3
   Platform: AIX

Synopsis:
parsing of jsp:useBean is not robust

I am using Tomcat 3.1 on AIX 4.3.3 to run my JSPs.  If the first two lines of my JSP are:

<%@ page import="some.package.*" %>
<jsp:useBean id="website" class="WebsiteBean"/>

I get an error about Tomcat not being able to create the bean.  But if I full-qualify the bean name, as such:

<jsp:useBean id="website" class="some.package.WebsiteBean"/>

Then it works.  To me, this is not as robust as it could be.  Furthermore, users who want to port their JSPs from other app servers such as Allaire JRun to Tomcat will have the same problem I had, because the name of the bean does not need to be fully-qualified in JRun.

Re: BugRat Report #245 has been filed.

Posted by Hans Bergsten <ha...@gefionsoftware.com>.
BugRat Mail System wrote:

> Bug report #245 has just been filed.
>
> You can view the report at the following URL:
>
>    <http://znutar.cortexity.com:8888/BugRatViewer/ShowReport/245>
>
> REPORT #245 Details.
>
> Project: Tomcat
> Category: Bug Report
> SubCategory: New Bug Report
> Class: swbug
> State: received
> Severity: serious
> Confidence: public
> Environment:
>    Release: Tomcat 3.1
>    JVM Release: 1.1.8
>    Operating System: AIX
>    OS Release: 4.3.3
>    Platform: AIX
>
> Synopsis:
> parsing of jsp:useBean is not robust

> I am using Tomcat 3.1 on AIX 4.3.3 to run my JSPs.  If the first two lines of my JSP are:
>
> <%@ page import="some.package.*" %>
> <jsp:useBean id="website" class="WebsiteBean"/>
>
> I get an error about Tomcat not being able to create the bean.  But if I full-qualify
> the bean name, as such:
>
> <jsp:useBean id="website" class="some.package.WebsiteBean"/>
>
> Then it works.  To me, this is not as robust as it could be.  Furthermore, users who
> want to port their JSPs from other app servers such as Allaire JRun to Tomcat will
> have the same problem I had, because the name of the bean does not need to be
> fully-qualified in JRun.

The JSP 1.1 spec says "the fully qualified class name" so if that's not required
in
JRun it's a bug in JRun.

Hans
--