Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by xfile80303 <le...@grokers.net> on 2009/04/01 20:06:12 UTC

Re: T5.1 URL Rewriting

On Mar 30, 2009, at 3/304:47 PM , xfile80303 wrote:

>> Is there a way to utilize this to only rewrite page render requests
>> and
>> not component or asset requests?  I know it is pretty early on in the
>> request lifespan, but without this discrimination this feature is not
>> nearly as useful to me (and possibly others?).
>
> It's really very early in the request handling pipeline. Maybe
> Tapestry
> should add some way (maybe methods in the Request instance) that
> tells if
> the given request is an page one or an event one or an asset one or
> etc.

-1.  Although there are times when I've thought this might be handy,
the determination of the request type is resolved via the
MasterDispatcher service; if you really need to know the request type,
then the operation you're performing probably needs to come later in
the flow of operations.

Robert

Hi Robert, I don't actually need to know the request type /if/ I can implement bi-directional URL re-writing, as discussed.  However, you may have a point...  the URL Rewriting implementation here is so low level as to be limited in usefulness when dealing with internal Tapestry concepts and conveniences.  If I use the URL Rewrite implementation I will need to re-implement a lot of the code Tapestry uses internally to determine page, locale, etc.

Levi

Hi Robert,

In looking at this further I think the only thing I need that Tapestry would normally provide is the Locale, and I am comfortable parsing the URL for that myself.  So I'd like to proceed with the URL Rewriting approach discussed here.  Is this something you (all) can/will implement relatively soon?

Cheers!

Levi