Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> on 2005/03/08 16:22:15 UTC

Publication-dependent service selection

Hi Lenya devs,
when introducing Avalon services in Lenya, I’m continuously faced
with the problem that service implementations have to be selected on a
per-publication basis. The usecase resolving mechanism is a typical
example: The usecase “default/site.delete” overrides the core usecase
“site.delete”:

<component-instance
   class="org.apache.lenya.cms.site.usecases.Delete"
   logger="lenya.site"
   name="site.delete"/>

<component-instance
   class="org.apache.lenya.defaultpub.cms.usecases.Delete"
   logger="lenya.usecases.delete"
   name="default/site.delete"/>

The UsecaseResolver is responsible for selecting the appropriate usecase
handler implementation.

Because this concept should be applied to virtually all services, I’d like
to have a generic mechanism to resolve publication-dependent service
implementations. It would be great to have it available transparently in
the service selection. Does anyone have an idea how to achieve this?

-- Andreas

Re: Publication-dependent service selection

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>
>> Because this concept should be applied to virtually all services, I’d
>> like
>> to have a generic mechanism to resolve publication-dependent service
>> implementations. It would be great to have it available transparently in
>> the service selection. Does anyone have an idea how to achieve this?
>

> slightly related, we may want to take a look at the work in cocoon 2.2,
> especially the revamped per-sitemap xconf, and the per-sitemap classloader.
>
> also, before we do too much in this area, who knows whether services
> will be per publication, or per plugin? so while i am generally in
> favour of having a generic selector, it's semantics may change.

Yes, you're right. But I think per-publication or per-plugin
will be conceptually similar.

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss