Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Arne Brutschy <ma...@studserv.uni-leipzig.de> on 2004/03/03 19:57:09 UTC

Best way to handle big search results..

Hi,

I'm looking for the best way to handle big search results.

Setting: the user can search for other users in the ldap directory. This
might return a long list of results (~40.000 entrys). Sadly, OpenLDAP
doesn't support server-side sorting, so I have to sort the results
myself. I want to display 20 items per page, and the user can browse
through these results.

What is the best way to handle these result object? Sorting once and
storing/caching it in the session or searching and sorting every time
the user requests a new page of results?

Any thoughts/experiences?

Regards,
Arne Brutschy