Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Andrew Sykes <an...@sykesdevelopment.com> on 2007/02/28 17:47:35 UTC

Re: Brainstorming Thread: Objectives for Developers Conference - Next Week!

Al,

Thanks for the vote of confidence on Selenium, and generally for keeping
this effort alive, very much appreciated - I'm getting a bit maxed out,
so struggling to keep it going.

My plan - for what it's worth, was to write an auto-install for Selenium
to work around licensing of some of the libs while keeping the bar low
for usage by newbies.

Some util for unzipping will be needed for this, and if it was generic
could be reused for compressing and uncompressing things like big entity
xml data files.

Any takers?

- Andrew

--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <an...@sykesdevelopment.com>

Re: Brainstorming Thread: Objectives for Developers Conference - Next Week!

Posted by Al Byers <by...@automationgroups.com>.
Andrew,

Others may feel differently, but I thought it was sufficiently easy to
install and, to be honest, lowering the bar for newbies is not one of my
biggest priorities. I think it is more important to make it easier for
developers to write tests and so I would like to throw open the question of
what does that entail? I don't really know. I do know that in some cases,
"automation == ease". Are there places where we can automate things?

I also have a question about remote service interface. I did not have time
to look at it in as much depth. I understand that you can select return
parameters to use in the input to the next service call, but is there a way
to specify input parameters to the initial service call? Can we make a
service call from Selenium? I just got as far as the one screen where the
user enters the services name and "pool". What is pool?

How about take down? Is that something that you usually want to do in these
sorts of tests? I guess I mean rolling back transactions. Does OFBiz already
have some sort of cascading remove capability? I know that there are
"related remove" methods.

-Al

Posted by Al Byers <by...@automationgroups.com>.
Andrew,

I meant to ask if you had come across this means for turning Selenium into a
load testing tool:
http://ez.no/community/articles/testing_ez_publish_with_selenium/performance_testing

-Al

Posted by Andrew Sykes <an...@sykesdevelopment.com>.
Al,

That's an interesting article and selenium-goto sounds like a useful
addition, although we do already have some of this flexibility by just
wrapping a chunk of tests in an ftl loop - although you can imagine how
that could quickly get out of hand!

The only thing that seems odd to me is the idea that you would stress
the application with a different tool, but I guess Selenium is a bit
limited in what it can do in this respect.

Whether this happens at the conference or outside it, I'd very much
welcome your collaboration with this, as I've already had to make a lot
of decisions about the layout of this work that would seem better
addressed collaboratively.

Thanks again.
- Andrew

Posted by Al Byers <by...@automationgroups.com>.