Posted to community@apache.org by "Daniel L. Rall" <dl...@apache.org> on 2004/02/11 04:10:09 UTC

Farewell to Martin Pöschl

With great sadness, I must report the staggering loss of our good
friend and colleague, Martin Pöschl <mp...@apache.org>.  Details
are sketchy, but it's been confirmed that Martin passed away on
January 29th, 2004.  Martin lived in Vienna, Austria.

Martin was an extraordinary human being and a fantastic engineer.  He
was very proud to have recently become a Member of the Apache Software
Foundation, a role he earned many times over during the course of his
work both directly with the ASF and in the private sector.  He was
sincerely committed to the success of our projects, and participated
in all activities with an open mind, a very constructive attitude, and
an awareness of the multi-faceted social aspects of our community.

Martin dedicated tireless hours to discussing projects and software,
answering questions on mailing lists and IRC, and heroically slogging
through the issue trackers.  He was most recently the lead developer
on db.apache.org's Torque project.  Martin was also heavily involved
in the OJB and Turbine projects, and (to a lesser degree) the Jakarta
Commons and XML-RPC projects.  He had many good ideas and plans for
the future integration of Torque and OJB.

Martin, we miss you.  We will remember you always as an appreciated
colleague and a good friend.  All our thoughts and good wishes are
with you.  May your soul find peace.

- Dan, Thomas Mahler, and the rest of the ASF crew

RE: Farewell to Martin Poschl

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I figured Martin could/should be included in the foundation pages

>  When the news goes away from the main homepage, I'll move the
> link text to [...]

I think that there is already a suitable place for the link.  Martin was a
Member.  He did not add himself to
http://www.apache.org/foundation/members.html, but we could do that for him,
and then link from his name to the memorial page.  At some point, if we
re-organize the members page to have a separate section for Emeritus
members, Martin's name can be moved there.

	--- Noel

Re: Farewell to Martin Pöschl

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 12 Feb 2004, at 23:50, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> i was planning to leave the jakarta one up (generally once created,
> jakarta pages stay up but sometimes are no longer linked to). does the
> ASF plan to take the page down after a period or is the plan that will
> it remain up for the forseeable future?
>
> (jakarta pages tend to get widely read and their urls disseminated so
> i'd prefer to link to a more-or-less permanent url.)

I figured Martin could/should be included in the foundation pages since
he's a member so part of the legal fabric our community builds upon.
When the news goes away from the main homepage, I'll move the link text
to http://www.apache.org/foundation/news.html or
http://www.apache.org/foundation/thanks.html

I would link from the Jakarta news section to the foundation page, to
make it a tiny bit more formal (in terms of expressing our
appreciation).

I'm not planning to tear down
http://www.apache.org/foundation/martin.html in the future, and there's
no policy for purging unlinked content so that URI should be a
permanent resource, yes.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Farewell to Martin Pöschl

Posted by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org>.
On 12 Feb 2004, at 22:35, Thom May wrote:

> * robert burrell donkin (rdonkin@apache.org) wrote :
>> On 12 Feb 2004, at 08:56, Daniel L. Rall wrote:
>>> robert burrell donkin wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>

>> i've added a first draft and uploaded onto the site (but it isn't
>> linked from anywhere as yet).
>>
>> http://jakarta.apache.org/site/farewell-martin.html
>>
>> could people please take a look, note any corrections and suggest any
>> improvements. if it seems ok then i'll link it from the home page
>> sometime this weekend.
>>
> just use (or link to) and update what's already on
> www.apache.org/foundation/martin.html ?
> There's some sample text on www.apache.org too, courtesy of StevenN

if someone had mentioned that a little early i wouldn't have created
the jakarta version :)

i was planning to leave the jakarta one up (generally once created,
jakarta pages stay up but sometimes are no longer linked to). does the
ASF plan to take the page down after a period or is the plan that will
it remain up for the forseeable future?

(jakarta pages tend to get widely read and their urls disseminated so
i'd prefer to link to a more-or-less permanent url.)

- robert

Re: Farewell to Martin Pöschl

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 12 Feb 2004, at 22:35, Thom May wrote:

<snip>

> just use (or link to) and update what's already on
> www.apache.org/foundation/martin.html ?
> There's some sample text on www.apache.org too, courtesy of StevenN

i've added links from the jakarta site to the foundation page. (i'll
leave the jakarta there but unlinked since my theory for jakarta is
what goes up shouldn't come down.)

i have a few cosmetic changes which (i think) improve the look of the
page. i've attached a patch. if anyone likes the changes, they might
like to check them in.

- robert

Re: Farewell to Martin Pöschl

Posted by Thom May <th...@planetarytramp.net>.
* robert burrell donkin (rdonkin@apache.org) wrote :
> On 12 Feb 2004, at 08:56, Daniel L. Rall wrote:
> >robert burrell donkin wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

> i've added a first draft and uploaded onto the site (but it isn't
> linked from anywhere as yet).
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/site/farewell-martin.html
>
> could people please take a look, note any corrections and suggest any
> improvements. if it seems ok then i'll link it from the home page
> sometime this weekend.

just use (or link to) and update what's already on
www.apache.org/foundation/martin.html ?
There's some sample text on www.apache.org too, courtesy of StevenN
Cheers,
-Thom

Re: Farewell to Martin Pöschl

Posted by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Daniel L. Rall" <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org>.
On 11 Feb 2004, at 17:29, Lars Eilebrecht wrote:

> According to Jim Jagielski:
>
>> I think it would be most appropriate for the ASF
>> to send some sort of condolences to the Pöschl
>> family (eg: flowers).
>
> ++1

definitely +1

Posted by Lars Eilebrecht <la...@hyperreal.org>.
According to Jim Jagielski:

> I think it would be most appropriate for the ASF
> to send some sort of condolences to the Pöschl
> family (eg: flowers).

++1

ciao...
--
Lars Eilebrecht          - "Programmers may be able to control computers,
lars@hyperreal.org    - but no one has learned how to control programmers."

Re: Farewell to Martin Pöschl

Posted by Charles-Alexandre Sabourdin <ka...@dedaletechnology.com>.
Le Jeudi 12 Février 2004 02:50, Torsten Curdt a écrit :
> +1
I vote +1 too
--
Charles-Alexandre
SABOURDIN

Re: Farewell to Martin Pöschl

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@vafer.org>.
>>>I think it would be most appropriate for the ASF
>>>to send some sort of condolences to the Pöschl
>>>family (eg: flowers).
>>
>>I agree.

Wow, quite a shock ...I met him only once IRL
but.... wow!

Flowers would be a really good idea!

+1
--
Torsten

Re: Farewell to Martin Pöschl

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@vafer.org>.

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@vafer.org>.

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <an...@apache.org>.
Sander Striker dijo:
> On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 18:21, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>> I think it would be most appropriate for the ASF
>> to send some sort of condolences to the Pöschl
>> family (eg: flowers).
>
> I agree.

+1

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: Farewell to Martin Pöschl

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <an...@apache.org>.
Sander Striker dijo:
> On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 18:21, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>> I think it would be most appropriate for the ASF
>> to send some sort of condolences to the Pöschl
>> family (eg: flowers).
>
> I agree.

+1

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: Farewell to Martin Pöschl

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <an...@apache.org>.
Sander Striker dijo:
> On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 18:21, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>> I think it would be most appropriate for the ASF
>> to send some sort of condolences to the Pöschl
>> family (eg: flowers).
>
> I agree.

+1

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: Farewell to Martin Pöschl

Posted by Sander Striker <st...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 18:21, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> I think it would be most appropriate for the ASF
> to send some sort of condolences to the Pöschl
> family (eg: flowers).

I agree.

Sander

Re: Farewell to Martin Pöschl

Posted by Sander Striker <st...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 18:21, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> I think it would be most appropriate for the ASF
> to send some sort of condolences to the Pöschl
> family (eg: flowers).

I agree.

Sander

Re: Farewell to Martin Pöschl

Posted by Lars Eilebrecht <la...@hyperreal.org>.
According to Jim Jagielski:

> I think it would be most appropriate for the ASF
> to send some sort of condolences to the Pöschl
> family (eg: flowers).

++1

ciao...

Posted by Sander Striker <st...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 18:21, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> I think it would be most appropriate for the ASF
> to send some sort of condolences to the Pöschl
> family (eg: flowers).

I agree.

Sander

Re: Farewell to Martin Pöschl

Posted by Lars Eilebrecht <la...@hyperreal.org>.
According to Jim Jagielski:

> I think it would be most appropriate for the ASF
> to send some sort of condolences to the Pöschl
> family (eg: flowers).

++1

ciao...

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Bruce Snyder <fe...@frii.com>.
Erik Abele wrote:

> On 11.02.2004, at 04:10, Daniel L. Rall wrote:
>
>> With great sadness, I must report the staggering loss of our good
>> friend and colleague, Martin Pöschl <mp...@apache.org>.  Details
>> are sketchy, but it's been confirmed that Martin passed away on
>> January 29th, 2004.  Martin lived in Vienna, Austria.
>

> I'm really shocked to read this. Martin and I became very good friends
> during the last year, especially while meeting up at AC '03... just
> remembering some long nights, roaming through the bars of Vegas, with
> excellent discussions and always bundled with a load of fun :~/
>
> I'm very, very sad as I realize that he has gone forever.
>
>> On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 18:21, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>>
>>> I think it would be most appropriate for the ASF
>>> to send some sort of condolences to the Pöschl
>>> family (eg: flowers).
>

> Absolutely +1. In case none of the other members had any luck in
> contacting his family, I'll try to do so tomorrow.

+1

I, too, met Martin at AC 2003 and he was a very nice guy. I'm saddened
by his passing and I think it would be a nice gesture for the ASF to
show how much he meant to the whole crew.

Bruce
--
perl -e 'print
unpack("u30","<0G)U8V4\@4VYY9&5R\"F9E<G)E=\$\!F<FEI+F-O;0\`\`");'

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo

Re: Farewell to Martin Pöschl

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.
On 11.02.2004, at 04:10, Daniel L. Rall wrote:

> With great sadness, I must report the staggering loss of our good
> friend and colleague, Martin Pöschl <mp...@apache.org>.  Details
> are sketchy, but it's been confirmed that Martin passed away on
> January 29th, 2004.  Martin lived in Vienna, Austria.

I'm really shocked to read this. Martin and I became very good friends
during the last year, especially while meeting up at AC '03... just
remembering some long nights, roaming through the bars of Vegas, with
excellent discussions and always bundled with a load of fun :~/

I'm very, very sad as I realize that he has gone forever.

> On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 18:21, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>> I think it would be most appropriate for the ASF
>> to send some sort of condolences to the Pöschl
>> family (eg: flowers).

Absolutely +1. In case none of the other members had any luck in
contacting his family, I'll try to do so tomorrow.

Cheers,
Erik

Btw, thanks to Daniel and Thomas for putting up the webpage!

Re: Bug in doDelete with the markedForDelete list

Posted by Rémi Bars <rb...@softeam.fr>.
Hi

when i try to store or retrieve array of object i get this exception (rc5)

java.lang.ClassCastException
at org.apache.ojb.broker.core.PersistenceBrokerImpl.storeCollections(PersistenceBrokerImpl.java)

i have change the code and it seems to work but is it correct to do that :

in  PersistenceBrokerImpl i put this code (line 807) (in store collection method)
// MBAIRD
// if the collection is a collectionproxy and it's not already loaded
// no need to store it.
if (col instanceof CollectionProxy && !((CollectionProxy) col).isLoaded())
 {
          continue;
}
//RBA
 if (!(col instanceof Collection))
                       col = java.util.Arrays.asList((Object[])col);
//RBA if col is not an array i ll get the same exception else it works :)

thank

Remi

Re: Bug in doDelete with the markedForDelete list

Posted by Armin Waibel <ar...@apache.org>.
Thanks, I will check in this patch (but put IdentityArrayList under
...broker.util package instead of making an inner class).

regards,
Armin

Posted by "Larry V. Streepy, Jr." <st...@healthlanguage.com>.
Ahh, so the right thing to do would be to compare the Identity of each
object in the list, and not rely on the equals() method.

Thanks for clarifying.
Larry.

Larry V. Streepy, Jr.
Senior Vice President and CTO
Health Langauge, Inc.

Re: Bug in doDelete with the markedForDelete list

Posted by Armin Waibel <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi Larry,

Posted by Gus Heck <gu...@olin.edu>.
Gus Heck wrote:

> Armin Waibel wrote:
>
>> Hi again,
>>
>> Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe using the Identity object's 'equals' method should solve the
>>> problem.
>>>

>> hmm, Identity should be ok, but it's much more costly than using
>> object identity in this case.
>>
>>> I don't think the point here is on business objects equality. The
>>> point is
>>> to know if the object ojb is storing or deleting has already been
>>> processed
>>> or not for a given object graph. This can only be the case if the
>>> primary
>>> keys of the objects are the same (wether they are stored in the
>>> objects or
>>> anonymous).
>>>
>>> There could be cases where two objects have the same primary keys,
>>> but are
>>> not the same object (in the sense of '=='). In theses case, and you are
>>> right about that, this would lead to problems.
>>

>> What are the problems? If we delete the same object twice or more
>> (same PK, but different instances), nothing should happend.
>> When we store different instances with same PK, first time an insert
>> will happend, all further instances cause an update.
>> Do I overlook a fault?
>>
> Well, the latter sounds like the order of storage matters if there are
> any differences.... But maybe this is a user problem not OJB's
> problem... The  becomes, can ordering issues arise within OJB that the
> user can't control?

Sorry misedit: s/The becomes,/The question becomes,/

Re: Bug in doDelete with the markedForDelete list

Posted by Gus Heck <gu...@olin.edu>.

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gu...@deliasystems.com>.
Hi,

> What are the problems? If we delete the same object twice or more (same
> PK, but different instances), nothing should happend.
> When we store different instances with same PK, first time an insert
> will happend, all further instances cause an update.
> Do I overlook a fault?

I think you are right on this point.

Guillaume

Re: Bug in doDelete with the markedForDelete list

Posted by Armin Waibel <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi again,

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gu...@deliasystems.com>.
Maybe using the Identity object's 'equals' method should solve the problem.

I don't think the point here is on business objects equality. The point is
to know if the object ojb is storing or deleting has already been processed
or not for a given object graph. This can only be the case if the primary
keys of the objects are the same (wether they are stored in the objects or
anonymous).

There could be cases where two objects have the same primary keys, but are
not the same object (in the sense of '=='). In theses case, and you are
right about that, this would lead to problems. But using their associated

Posted by "Larry V. Streepy, Jr." <st...@healthlanguage.com>.

Posted by Armin Waibel <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Armin Waibel <ar...@apache.org>.