Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Lacerda, Wellington (AFIS)" <We...@fao.org> on 2000/11/30 10:59:53 UTC

book ideas

Hi Everybody,

I'm (already) working in a book in JSP and Tag Libraries development for New
Riders Publishing.
The idea of the book is:

- An introduction on Servlets and JSP
- Deep in Tag coding
- Design and Architectural issues (major challenges when designing web apps
with Servlets, JSP, Pet Shop Model 2 approach, Struts Model 2 approach, the
role of tags in process encapsulation and reuse, how tags affect system
design and how the Servlet/JSP architecture responds to that, etc.). EJBs
are treated as subsidiary (calm down!) since it's too broad a subject and
very well covered in many other books.
- Deep in Struts (a couple of chapters to discuss the model, the usage
scenarios and of course the taglibs)
- Jakarta Taglibs (a broad coverage)
- Commercial taglibs (the commercial case)
- Appendixes on TOMCAT (I focus in TOMCAT), MySQL, Caucho Resin and Jrun
(examples are provided also on these), jBoss
- Many, many, MANY examples on everything.

Questions are:

1. What do you think of this coverage ?

2. What would you like to see on paper ? My sources on the design issues are
a number of articles (for instance that one from Jason Hunter questioning
JSP), some reference books and the lists (not to mention experience, of
course).

3. On the side of Struts, what do you like to see there ? What do you think
is not yet said or well said about Struts ?

4. And on the design issues on Servlet/JSP architecture(s) ?

Thank you all for your attention on this,

Wellington Silva
UN/FAO

Re: book ideas

Posted by Jim Richards <gr...@cyber4.org>.
I'd prefer (and this is personal preference only) more on the development of
models and application frameworks then actual introduction code.

Coverage of PostgreSQL as well (it has transaction, which are quite
crucial to the EJBs, otherwise you get MySQL's serialised table locking
which is not great).

Use of EJBs through the MVC framework. Where to use session
beans (both types) and when to use entity beans (ie. should
entity beans be attached to the session object (no, not really)
but only accessed through the session beans, and the session beans
return ordinary Java Beans to the servlet.

Security context in relation to attaching a profile to the
whole application.

Not a reprint of the documentation that comes with any of the main
downloads, as this just duplicates content and kills more trees.

Other EJB/J2EE containers (eg. Enhydra/Jonas).

Wait till Tomcat 4.0 is stable and Struts 1.0, otherwise you'll
have major dead space in the book.

(Although a paper book will always be somewhat out of date)

If you focus on frameworks/ideas/concepts rather then deep
examples you'll find the book lasts a lot longer, which is
why Knuth's books are still valid resources today but my
Java 1.0 Beta2 books are wasted space.

--
Kumera - a new Open Source Content Management System
for small to medium web sites written in Perl and using XML