Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com> on 2006/01/24 09:49:09 UTC

public perceptions

[ changed subject to discuss topic more abstractly ]

> I would agree with this if there was no immediate percieved benefit
> when you are in Incubator, unfortunately it seems projects under
> incubation are still perceived by the larger community as endorsed by
> Apache.

I think that the further away from something you get, the more vague
your perceptions are.  For instance, there are a lot of people who still
think that Apache == The Web Server.  When seen from afar, I'd tend to
agree that a move to "something.apache.org" is going to be noticed by
most people who are not looking carefully as "project now associated
with apache.org".

This is a theory of mine that seems to be born out by talking with
people, but it's not really an exact science.  What say the marketing folks?

--
David N. Welton
- http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
- http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: public perceptions

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
David N. Welton wrote:
> [ changed subject to discuss topic more abstractly ]
>
> > I would agree with this if there was no immediate percieved benefit
> > when you are in Incubator, unfortunately it seems projects under
> > incubation are still perceived by the larger community as endorsed by
> > Apache.
>
> I think that the further away from something you get, the more vague
> your perceptions are.  For instance, there are a lot of people who still
> think that Apache == The Web Server.

Well, i am not a marketing person, but i know
that you are onto something important there.

A while ago i started helping to tidy up
the top-level apache.org documentation
(i.e. / and /foundation/ and /dev/).

I became alarmed at how much documentation was
still talking in terms of "Apache, the webserver"
where really it should now mean "The ASF".
Obviously not updated for a long time.

Some of this has been addressed by referring
to "Apache HTTP Server" instead. However there
are plenty of extant misleading statements.

-David

Re: public perceptions

Posted by susan wu <su...@arctic.org>.

I absolutely agree that if a project is housed at projectX.apache.org,
people will automatically associate projectX as an apache project, with
the full rights, privileges, and standing of all other apache projects,
from a marketing/branding perspective.

Re: public perceptions

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> David N. Welton wrote:

No I didn't - the comment below was Raphael Luta's - probably evident
because of the double layer of quoting, but still...

>>>I would agree with this if there was no immediate percieved benefit
>>>when you are in Incubator, unfortunately it seems projects under
>>>incubation are still perceived by the larger community as endorsed by
>>>Apache.

> Actually, we've had quite a few comments from the public and incubator projects that dispute that view, especially in light of the disclaimers required to be conspicuously posted.

> Let's not conflate the issues with the Apache != Apache Web Server discussion.

They're both, to some degree, issues of looking at Apache from 10
kilometers in the sky, or looking at it very infrequently.  Which
describes most people pretty well because they are busy with their own
work, lives, projects, etc.

Those who are close enough to comment know about the project well enough
to distinguish between different subgroups.  They're observing from a
lot closer.

It's probable that the second group are the ones that matter, and if
they can see a difference, then there isn't really a problem.  It's just
something to keep in mind.

RE: public perceptions

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
David N. Welton wrote:

> > I would agree with this if there was no immediate percieved benefit
> > when you are in Incubator, unfortunately it seems projects under
> > incubation are still perceived by the larger community as endorsed by
> > Apache.

Actually, we've had quite a few comments from the public and incubator projects that dispute that view, especially in light of the disclaimers required to be conspicuously posted.

Let's not conflate the issues with the Apache != Apache Web Server discussion.

	--- Noel