Posted to dev@samza.apache.org by Navina Ramesh <nr...@linkedin.com.INVALID> on 2016/08/01 18:39:28 UTC

[DISCUSS] [VOTE] Apache Samza 0.10.1 RC0

Hey all,

This is a call for a vote on a release of Apache Samza 0.10.0. Thanks
to everyone
who has contributed to this release. We are very glad to see some new
contributors in this release.

**NOTE**: This release is primarily a bug-fix release with no major changes
to the public api. Since we are behind schedule in terms of releases, we
are combining the DISCUSS and VOTE email into a single VOTE email. If
anyone has objections, please do raise them. We plan to shortly follow-up
with a DISCUSS email for 0.11.0 release, that brings in new features in
multi-threading, REST api etc.

The release candidate can be downloaded from here:
http://home.apache.org/~navina/samza-0.10.1-rc0/

The release candidate is signed with pgp key 331C8F69, which can be found
on keyservers:
http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x331C8F69

The git tag is release-0.10.1-rc0 and signed with the same pgp key:
*https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=samza.git;a=tag;h=33eff8a3e1eb2dc1dbffc661f910b1272b233640
<https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=samza.git;a=tag;h=33eff8a3e1eb2dc1dbffc661f910b1272b233640>*

Test binaries have been published to Maven's staging repository, and
are available
here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachesamza-1012/

Note that the binaries were built with JDK7 without incident.

69 issues were resolved for this release:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20SAMZA%20AND%20fixVersion%20in%20(0.10.1)%20AND%20status%20in%20(Resolved%2C%20Closed)

The vote will be open for 72 hours ( end in 12:00pm Thursday, 08/05/2016 ).

Please download the release candidate, check the hashes/signature, build it and
test it, and then please vote:

[ ] +1 approve

[ ] +0 no opinion

[ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)

+1 from my side for the release.

Cheers!
--
Navina R.
navina@apache.org

Re: [DISCUSS] [VOTE] Apache Samza 0.10.1 RC0

Posted by Yi Pan <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Navina,

Great! Thanks!

-Yi

Posted by Navina Ramesh <nr...@linkedin.com.INVALID>.

--
Navina R.

Re: [DISCUSS] [VOTE] Apache Samza 0.10.1 RC0

Posted by Yi Pan <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Boris Shkolnik <bo...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding).

Posted by Garry Turkington <g....@improvedigital.com>.
This link seems to say the KEYS file needs be in the  distribution directory on the Apache master site but not necessarily inside each released artifact. Which suggests the release process should ensure the signing key is in the publically accessible KEYS file. I guess its then a question of if we plan to version control that by keeping the master copy in the git root of master.

http://www.apache.org/dev/release-distribution.html#sigs-and-sums

Garry

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
> On Aug 1, 2016, at 5:24 PM, Navina Ramesh <nr...@linkedin.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
> Are you referring to the Gemfile.lock in docs/ ? I do see that in the
> source release.

I was mistaken. Apparently it is OK to check in Gemfile.lock; see http://yehudakatz.com/2010/12/16/clarifying-the-roles-of-the-gemspec-and-gemfile/ <http://yehudakatz.com/2010/12/16/clarifying-the-roles-of-the-gemspec-and-gemfile/>.

Julian

Re: [DISCUSS] [VOTE] Apache Samza 0.10.1 RC0

Posted by Navina Ramesh <nr...@linkedin.com.INVALID>.
Ok. I added my keys to the KEYS file.

@Julian: Thanks for the suggestion. I don't know the reason for choosing
home.apache.org as opposed to dist.apache.org. The latter does make more
sense. We will update the release procedure for 0.11.0.

--
Navina R.

Re: [DISCUSS] [VOTE] Apache Samza 0.10.1 RC0

Posted by Yi Pan <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Navina,

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
+1 (non-binding)

Downloaded, built, ran tests, checked L&N. Instructions on installing gradle were nice and clear.

I ran rat (I presume that ‘./gradlew rat’ is the correct command) and it passed.

I believe that best practice is to put the release bits under https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/${project}/${release} <https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/$%7Bproject%7D/$%7Brelease%7D> rather than under home.apache.org <http://home.apache.org/>. I suggest that Samza follows this for future releases.

The best place to put KEYS is https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/${project}/KEYS <https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/$%7Bproject%7D/KEYS>, not in git (because git can be subverted).

Should Gemfile.lock be in the release? Isn’t it a generated file?

Julian

Posted by Navina Ramesh <nr...@linkedin.com.INVALID>.
@Garry: Yeah. I wasn't very clear about it either.

@Yi: Do you know if it is a part of the release process to add my keys to
the KEYS file in git repo?

Navina

On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 12:47 PM, Garry Turkington <
g.turkington@improvedigital.com> wrote:

> +1 (binding)
>
> Built the source ran all tests and tried a sample test job. All looks good.
>
> One question - the key used to sign isn't in the KEYS file in the git repo
> -- is this a convenieence mechanism or  does the release process mean it
> should be there?
>
> Garry

Navina R.

RE: [DISCUSS] [VOTE] Apache Samza 0.10.1 RC0

Posted by Garry Turkington <g....@improvedigital.com>.
+1 (binding)

-----

Re: [DISCUSS] [VOTE] Apache Samza 0.10.1 RC0

Posted by Jacob Maes <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1 non-binding

Posted by xinyu liu <xi...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding).