Posted to slide-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Miguel Figueiredo <mf...@maisis.pt> on 2004/11/19 13:51:10 UTC

RFC2518 conformance conflict?

 Hello folks,

 I got alarmed when producing test units for the webdav LOCK method.

 When locking a resource in slide and executing a propfing in it, I get
returned a typical <D:lockdiscovery> element with a not so typical
<D:principal-URL> element witch it suspect is redundant in presence of the
<D:owner> element.

  The <D:lockdiscovery> element, or more precisely the contained
<D:activelock> elements can only contain certain elements as specified in
RFC 2518 section 12.1, witch includes the <D:owner> element but nothing
about a <D:principal-URL>. Well, perhaps the specification is constraining
us a bit too much, since it does not allow any other kind of elements to be
used inside the <D:activelock> making it non-extensible (something it's
carefully handled in more modern XML specifications), but at least the
slide-added <D:principal-URL> element SHOULD NOT share the same namespace of
the dav spec.

 Does someone know if this scenario was agreed upon by the slide team or if
it was overlooked at implementation time?

 Well, if the <D:principal-URL> element is needed I would suggest change
it's namespace (I've seen slide xml elements around with the
"http://jakarta.apache.org/slide" namespace if I remember correctly: it
could be a good namespace for it), if not, remove it completely since it can
be redundant in presence of the <D:owner> element.

 Best regards,
 Miguel

PS: I know this is irrelevant to slide functionality, but didn't want people
start comparing the open-source community with Microsoft's irreverence in
specifications implementations :)

RE: RFC2518 conformance conflict?

Posted by Miguel Figueiredo <mf...@maisis.pt>.
Thank you Thomas, I'll sleep better tonight
 :)

Miguel

Posted by Thomas Draier <th...@codeva.net>.
hi,
:

Posted by Miguel Figueiredo <mf...@maisis.pt>.

Hello Lisa,

 You're right (read about it in section 14)! Additionally, since
<D:principal-URL> element is an ACL xml element (found it out after Thomas
email), slide is indeed correctly extending the basic dav specification.
Like I said earlier, I will sleep better tonight :)

 Many thanks,
 Miguel

This isn't a RFC2518 conformance problem.  The XML specifications in
RFC2518 are very careful to show that while certain elements are
required,  additional elements not defined in RFC2518 MAY appear and
should be ignored if they're not understood.  That language was
carefully added to allow implementations to extend WebDAV without
breaking each other.

Lisa

Posted by Lisa Dusseault <li...@osafoundation.org>.