Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Thilo Frotscher <th...@web.de> on 2003/12/27 14:07:31 UTC

Bug? SimpleProvider not usable - Please clarify

Hi,

another possible bug I would like to submit for clarification.

SimpleProvider has a few shortcomings which make it impossible to use.
1) methods getService/deployService use SOAPService as a parameter/return value.
    Thus, adding a handler to the service-specific chain is impossible on the
    client! SimpleProvider's methods should be more generalized to be
    useful on client and on server.

2) methods getGlobalRequest/getGlobalResponse return null if no handlers are
    configured in these chains. Since there are no methods like setGlobalRequest/
    setGlobalReposnse, it is impossible to dynamically add a global handler
    in this case.

Thanks,
Thilo

RE: Bug? SimpleProvider not usable - Please clarify

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.
Hi Thilo!

> SimpleProvider has a few shortcomings which make it impossible to use.
> 1) methods getService/deployService use SOAPService as a
> parameter/return value.
>     Thus, adding a handler to the service-specific chain is
> impossible on the
>     client! SimpleProvider's methods should be more generalized to be
>     useful on client and on server.

SOAPService is actually used on both the client and the server to represent
a "service" in the WSDL sense.  So you could, theoretically, have a single
AxisClient with several SOAPServices inside it each of which has its own
req/resp handlers or typemappings.  So this point isn't a bug.

> 2) methods getGlobalRequest/getGlobalResponse return null if
> no handlers are
>     configured in these chains. Since there are no methods
> like setGlobalRequest/
>     setGlobalReposnse, it is impossible to dynamically add a
> global handler
>     in this case.

I just fixed this for you. :)

--Glen