Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@jrc.it> on 1998/06/02 11:51:47 UTC

Re: Search service done-ish

On Mon, 1 Jun 1998, Martin Kraemer wrote:

> Ah! It's there already! But not in a state to publish it yet...
> a request to <URL:http://search.apache.org/> gives:
>
>     <HTML>
>     <HEAD>
>     <TITLE>Apache Site: Search Failed</TITLE>
>     </HEAD>
>     <BODY BGCOLOR=WHITE>
>
> Shouldn't some <FORM> pop up here?

Well actually the idea was that one would use a
http://ww.site.com/search.html form which intentionally was _not_ in the
search.apache.org tree; but in whichever mirror you happened to come from
so that any results could cause pointers back into the tree at your
local/near mirror.

DW.

Re: Search service done-ish

Posted by Martin Kraemer <Ma...@mch.sni.de>.
On Tue, Jun 02, 1998 at 11:59:18AM +0200, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:
> But actaully a good point, there should be some text for people
> guessing URLs. But I still prefer
>
> 	www.apache.org/search.html
> 	some.apache.mirror.site.org/search.html
>
> as the primary entry points. As that allows for the mirrors to come
> into play when serving the sought after contents.

I see you adapted the error message accordingly.
Anyway, couldn't a copy of the search form be popped up here?
I agree with the concept of separating the entry form and the engine,
however I think the astonishment will be smaller when there's a
form at the search root as well.

Just my $.02
    Martin

Re: Search service done-ish

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@jrc.it>.

On Tue, 2 Jun 1998, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Jun 1998, Martin Kraemer wrote:
>
> > Ah! It's there already! But not in a state to publish it yet...
> > a request to <URL:http://search.apache.org/> gives:
> >
> >     <HTML>
> >     <HEAD>
> >     <TITLE>Apache Site: Search Failed</TITLE>
> >     </HEAD>
> >     <BODY BGCOLOR=WHITE>
> >
> > Shouldn't some <FORM> pop up here?

But actaully a good point, there should be some text for people
guessing URLs. But I still prefer

	www.apache.org/search.html
	some.apache.mirror.site.org/search.html

as the primary entry points. As that allows for the mirrors to come
into play when serving the sought after contents.

Dw