Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Merlin <ng...@fastmail.fm> on 2007/12/20 11:52:44 UTC

False positives with Bayes_99

Hi there,

I am running a well trusted travel community page that sends system
e-mails like register, notice on comments etc. to its opt-in signed up
users.

Since two days all E-Mails from that server get an aditional spam score
of 3.5!! by Bayes_99. I looked it up and found that Spamassasin believes
that it is to 99% spam by training from users. I believe there is more
to it, as I can not believe that
users mark such msges as spam. I also received another e-mail from
another community page that was marked with Bayes_99 despite that it
never has before. How come?! I looked into several red lists for my
server, but the server is not listed anywhere. The only thing I found is
that the server was not set with "reverse mapping" to the correct
domain, but to the one the hostmaster has set before (it is a root
server). Changed it yesterday to the domain name but still no change
today. Still wrong host. Does this have something to do with Bayes_99?

I am wondering how to get rid of this Bayes_99 thing and how to get to
Bayes_00 that would be more suitable for that e-mail. Do I have to
configure Postfix as the sending instance somehow with anything like
truested server lists, or with anything else I might have overlooked by
configuring it?

Here is a header of a false positive:

Subject: {SPAM 03.5} Feedback: lost password - please help
Host='s15229619.onlinehome-server.info', Country='DE',
  FromHeader='net', MailFrom='net'

Thank you for any help,

Merlin
--
  Merlin
  ngroups@fastmail.fm

  http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/quotes.html

Re: False positives with Bayes_99

Posted by Merlin <ng...@fastmail.fm>.
On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 15:18:45 +0100, "Matthias Haegele"
<mh...@linuxrocks.dyndns.org> said:
> Merlin schrieb:
> > On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 03:08:34 -0800, "Merlin" <ng...@fastmail.fm> said:

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> thank you for your reply. I am not the one who can train ist. I am just
> >> running the server with
> >> the community that sends the messages. It is a big problem for me as if
> >> those e-mails do get false
> >> positive no more registration might be pssible etc.
> >>
> >> The funny thing is, that e-mails with almost identical content (for
> >> example notifications on forum
> >> replies) from other sites get even a Bayes_00 while mine get Bayes_99
> >> (that is true for the fastmail.fm e-mail
> >> provider). How come? Do you believe it has to do with the content, or
> >> the header? It must be the header as
> >> for example feedback msgs. that I receive through an online form also
> >> get marked with Bayes_99.
> >> The e-mails are sent through the PHPmailer class (opensource). I also
> >> looked there, but could not find a misconfig or so.
>
> Hmm. If you couldnt influence the training process and therefore cant
> rely on it,
> you probably dont want to use Bayes scores or at least lower BAYES_99?
>
> Perhaps you would like to use a pastebin-service like
> http://pastebin.com/
> and show us some "False Positive Samples" (feel free to exchange
> confidential parts, understandable plz).
>
> >> Thank you for any help,
> >>
> >> Merlin
>

> --
> Gruesse/Greetings
> MH
>

> Dont send mail to: ubecatcher@linuxrocks.dyndns.org
> --

Thank you for your reply. I have uploaded an example of the complete
e-mail that
got a...
Bayes_99: http://pastebin.com/db1f0425
Bayes_80: http://pastebin.com/da5a6714

This occures only since 2 days now. Most of the other mails I do get
inside my e-mail account is
with bayes_00 that even got a -2.x score. As those e-mails are extremly
important for my community
I would like to make sure that the members receive it. No idea why they
do not get a Bayes_00 as well.
Perhaps I have misconfigured the SMPT Server/ Postfix or PHPmailer or
the Linux server itself?

To make sure there is no misunderstanding, I am not running the server
that is classifying the e-mail
with Bayes_99, but the server that has sent that e-mail.

Best regards,

Merlin

--
  Merlin
  ngroups@fastmail.fm

                          love email again

Re: False positives with Bayes_99

Posted by Matthias Haegele <mh...@linuxrocks.dyndns.org>.

Posted by Merlin <ng...@fastmail.fm>.

Posted by Matthias Haegele <mh...@linuxrocks.dyndns.org>.

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Thu, 20 Dec 2007, Merlin wrote:

> I looked it up and found that Spamassasin believes that it is to
> 99% spam by training from users. I believe there is more to it, as
> I can not believe that users mark such msges as spam.

An unfortunate reality of system administration is that most people
are idiots.

As a practical note, this is why it is critical to keep the corpus
around if you're doing manual training - so that you can find and fix
mistrained messages, and retrain from scratch if you need to.

  "Bother," said Pooh as he struggled with /etc/sendmail.cf, "it never
  does quite what I want. I wish Christopher Robin was here."
				           -- Peter da Silva in a.s.r
 5 days until Christmas