Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> on 2017/01/07 01:06:29 UTC

Proposal: Create "branch RM" roles for non releasing branches branch-1, branch-2 (when it exists), and master

HBasers,

I would like to propose extending our informal "branch RM" concept just a
bit to include the nonreleasing branches like branch-1, branch-2 (when it
exists), and master. These branches are where all commits are made passing
through down to the releasing branches targeted for the change (like,
branch-1.1, branch-1.2, branch-1.3, etc.)

The releasing branches all have their own RM. I assume that RM is
diligently monitoring its state, by way of review of commit history,
occasional execution of the unit test suite, occasional execution of the
integration tests, and has perhaps some automation in place to help with
that on a nightly or weekly basis. No matter, let's assume there is a
nonzero level of scrutiny applied to them, which leads to feedback to
committers about inappropriate commits via compat guidelines, commits which
have broken unit tests, or other indications of quality or functional
concerns.  I think it would improve our overall velocity as a project if we
could also have volunteers tending the development branches upstream from
the releasing branches. Less work would fall to the RMs tending the release
branches if a common troublesome commit can be caught upstream first. In
particular I am thinking about branch-1.

I would like to volunteer to become the new RM for branch-1, to test and
refine my above proposal in practice. Unless I hear objections I will
assume by lazy consensus everyone is ok with this experiment.

What this would mean:

   - JIRAs like "TestFooBar is broken on branch-1" will show up sooner, and
   more likely with fix patches
   - Semiregular performance reports on branch-1 code as of date X/Y/Z, can
   compare with earlier reports for trending
   - Occasional sweep through master history looking for appropriate
   candidates for backport to branch-1, execution of said backport
   - Occasional 1B row ITBLL torture tests, probably if failure with bisect
   back to commit that introduced instability

What this does not mean:

   - The branch-1 RM will not attempt to tell other branch RMs what or what
   not to include in their release branches
   - The branch-1 RM won't commit anything backported from master to any of
   the release branches; it will continue to be up to the release branch RMs
   what they would or would not like to be included

​Also, I don't see why I couldn't spend some time looking at master now and
then.

I am going to assume our current co-RM team for branch-2 would maybe do
something similar for branch-2, once it materializes.

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?
​

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

If you are given a choice, you believe you have acted freely. - Raymond
Teller (via Peter Watts)

Re: Proposal: Create "branch RM" roles for non releasing branches branch-1, branch-2 (when it exists), and master

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.
> Now the authors of every issues backport new features to branch-1 after they have a patch for master, and committers help them push patches to git. So usually master and branch-1 introduce two patches for a issue at time same time.

One change would be more scrutiny of the stability and function of branch-1 (or other nonreleasing branch like branch-2) after such commit and potential for revert if a regression is not addressed within a reasonable timeframe. We don't have that today.

 > If we have branch RMs, who should make a decision that if we need to backport a new feature to branch-x?

If it were me I would simply (re)open a JIRA and put up a patch to review, which would be committed after a +1. If I didn't get any response after a few days I might take that as lazy consensus for backport and commit. Someone could -1 or ask for a revert at any time, no problem. For branch-1 if a change didn't meet the compatibility guidelines for inclusion in a minor release or could not be modified to conform than it would be excluded of course. So it is the community process (committers) that decides. What's new is someone more active with testing and shepherding.

> Do we have a plan that how often we cut a new releasing branch?

When I was RM of 98 we had a minor release roughly every month. I don't think we want that here if each 1.x or 2.x minor is going to have its own RM and be maintained for a long time. Too many versions would proliferate. Or, we could become more like Phoenix, which focuses on making new minors every release cycle and rarely puts out just a patch release, only if there is a serious problem. If we were more like this, someone would volunteer to RM a new minor, it would be branched, tested, then released, and we'd move the stable pointer and all move on.

Posted by Phil Yang <ud...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
As branch-1 "RM" I don't need to be in the loop when a committer wants to
commit something there, and wouldn't have the bandwidth for it anyway. So
if someone wants to put something in branch-N.M, feel free to commit it to
master, then branch-N, then branch-N.M, as is our current workflow. If the
commit is bad and not dealt with in a timely manner it may be reverted from
both places (potentially by me). This is also not a change, except someone
is paying more attention to branch-1. I also agree that if we've reverted
something from branch-N then it has to be reverted from branch-N.M, and I
would expect the PMC to enforce this sanity. Likewise, if something has
been released on branch-N.M, then it cannot be reverted from branch-N. That
kind of inconsistency in commit lineage would make things unmanageable.

Th most likely case where the branch-N maintainer's judgement would come in
conflict with a committer's judgement and need resolution would be if a
commit is made that causes observed instability, or performance regression,
or is a (potentially, debatable) violation of compatibility guidelines, and
the branch-N maintainer executes a revert of the commit from branch-N and
any children branch-N.M, so long as the change has not been released.

Posted by Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> so
> > > to be maintained for roughly as long as 0.98 was: three years from
> first
> > > release (1.0.0).

> > > I would definitely not be comfortable retiring branch-1 any time this
> > > CY, given the unknown state of both the 2.0 release process and how
> > > long that branch has been without a release. Three years from 1.0.0
> > > puts us at February 2018. The 0.98 branch had the benefit of nearly 2
> > > years overlap with branch-1 releases; should branch-1 have a similar
> > > window with branch-2?
> > >

> > --
> > Thanks,
> > Michael Antonov
> >

> --
> Best regards,
>
>    - Andy
>
> If you are given a choice, you believe you have acted freely. - Raymond

Michael Antonov

Re: Proposal: Create "branch RM" roles for non releasing branches branch-1, branch-2 (when it exists), and master

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com>.
I should say I was talking more about "should these things be discussed
together or separately", not any particular direction we should
or should not take, as I didn't want to accidentally steal the topic.

But speaking specifically on that.. saying that we're going to maintain
branch-1 lines until at least Feb 2018 definitely makes total sense to me.
2 years overlap with 2.0 might be something we'd want to discuss in some
more depth.

-Mikhail

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 10:26 AM, Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 7:43 PM, Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com>
> >
> > Speaking specifically about branch-1 and given 2.0 release
> > discussions, is it proper time/thread to also discuss what
> > do we want to do with branch-1? Like, say that 1.4 would be
> > the last release off this line and hence branch-1 should be
> > turned to 1.4, and should we wind down backports to it?
>
> On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 8:07 PM, Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I would like to see branch-1 be our new long term stable branch and so
> to be maintained for roughly as long as 0.98 was: three years from first
> release (1.0.0).

> I would definitely not be comfortable retiring branch-1 any time this
> CY, given the unknown state of both the 2.0 release process and how
> long that branch has been without a release. Three years from 1.0.0
> puts us at February 2018. The 0.98 branch had the benefit of nearly 2
> years overlap with branch-1 releases; should branch-1 have a similar
> window with branch-2?

Michael Antonov

Re: Proposal: Create "branch RM" roles for non releasing branches branch-1, branch-2 (when it exists), and master

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> What this does not mean:
>
>    - The branch-1 RM will not attempt to tell other branch RMs what or what
>    not to include in their release branches
>    - The branch-1 RM won't commit anything backported from master to any of
>    the release branches; it will continue to be up to the release branch
> RMs
>    what they would or would not like to be included
>
> ​Also, I don't see why I couldn't spend some time looking at master now and
> then.
>
> I am going to assume our current co-RM team for branch-2 would maybe do
> something similar for branch-2, once it materializes.
>
> Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?
> ​
>

> --
> Best regards,
>
>    - Andy
>
> If you are given a choice, you believe you have acted freely. - Raymond

Michael Antonov

Re: Proposal: Create "branch RM" roles for non releasing branches branch-1, branch-2 (when it exists), and master

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.
Thanks everyone for the discussion. I'll informally watch branch-1. Planning on monthly passes for cherry picks and release testing as I did for 0.98, but in this case the output will be nonrelease snapshots. Release RMs will not see pick backs from me. The changes you can expect is reverts if we something problematic and it has not gone out in a release yet. Looking forward to a productive LTS of branch-1.

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com>.
Somewhat late to the reply --