Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/01 19:11:36 UTC

Re: Incubator dependencies in Apache projects

On Sep 30, 2008, at 1:49 PM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 12:14 AM, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
> wrote:

>>> I wouldn't call Yoko *failed*. It didn't generate enough interest to
>>> go TLP, but did become a sub-project of Geronimo. Also, portions
>>> were
>>> donated to CXF. Seems like a *success* to me.
>>
>> I have to agree.   All parts of the Yoko codebase are now supported
>> and
>> enhanced in active projects.   That sounds like a success, not a
>> failure.
>
> So, there is a subproject in Geronimo which is essentially the Yoko
> codebase, released in a way so non-Geronimo users can consume that
> codebase?? If so, Excellent.

Yes. That's correct. The Yoko ORB is a Geronimo subproject. Yoko
committers were adopted into Geronimo. Yoko is released separately and
is being consumed by other projects (i.e. Apache Harmony).

> But the matter of fact is, that the
> STATUS page says "dissolved, with parts going to Geronimo and CXF",
> which implies a different story, and indeed says "Yoko didn't make
> it.", i.e. failure. Please call it for what it is, it IS Ok for
> podlings to end, dissolve, absorbed, evaporate and whatever other
> possible end-of-life we can imagine... Just because a podling fails,
> it doesn't mean that any particular person or group of persons fail.
> Two different things.

I wasn't involved with the wording of the Yoko status page, nor with
the resolution as they left incubator. Not familiar with why it was
worded in the way they were...

I don't think we need to debate semantics, here.  I think we're
largely in agreement. We're debating shades of grey, here... IMO,
"fail" is harsh description of the outcome.

--kevan