Posted to builds@apache.org by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/01 07:06:12 UTC

Re: volunteering for ASF Jenkins farm service maintenance

Hervé,

Thanks for bringing this issue up.  I second everything you said.

Having a good build system is essential for a project's success.  I am sure
the ASF realises this, which is why they have invested in all the hardware
on which the build systems run.  But it is of really no use to us because
there is no one around to actively maintain and provide support for it.

I know that the admins are volunteers and that they have a real life as
well.  But, I am a volunteer too.  Every week I get only a few hours to
spare working on my choice of an open source project.  But I often have to
end up trying to fix a broken build on a server on which I don't have real
access to, that nobody wants to provide support.  No one responds to
emails.  There is very little reaction to JIRA tickets.

Again, talk is cheap.  I am here to offer my time to fix the builds issues
so that at least my project of choice (Apache Flex) benefits from it.  If I
have additional time, I can help out with other build issues as well.

What does it take to become an admin for Jenkins builds at the ASF?  What
does it take for the current admins to take notice and realize that this is
a real problem?

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
Le jeudi 3 avril 2014 13:48:34 OmPrakash Muppirala a écrit :
> On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 1:38 PM, Jake Farrell <jf...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Om, Herve
> > What action are you specifically trying to achieve with the role you are
> > referring to as 'maintainer' ?
>
> Things like setting up builds which require more than just the Jenkins web
> interface, kill stuck jobs, restart machines are required.
+1
investigate at OS level what is happenning when the service isn't behaving
normally

>  Add, upgrade/downgrade plugins as required, etc.
personnally, I'm not even hoping adding/upgrading/downgrading plugins until I
better know how maintainers decide, plan, communicate: actually, changing
anything would be adding more noise
But at least being able to see how each build slave is configured more
precisely would permit to document changes.

And my real hope is to create some discussion here between people, problems,
Jenkins admins and Jenkins users, because I suppose not every problem is
caused by Jenkins: some problems are pro

> > With the jenkins-admin karma you have you are able to look at jenkins
> > tickets that are in the infrastructure backlog and close them out or you
> > can answering questions on the builds@ list that people have. Just like
> > any other Apache project karma is earned and not just given. This is
> > probably a better link explaining how to volunteer than the wiki link for
> > jenkins
>
> It does not appear as if there are folks looking at this mailing list to
> evaluate how good a job I am doing here.  I would like to know how many
> admins are actually involved with administering Jenkins.  With machines
> being offline for days together, build issues not being fixed for weeks
> together, I dont think there are many admins around here.  Am I wrong?
+1
http://wiki.apache.org/general/Jenkins#Who_maintains_the_Jenkins_servers.3F
doesn't seem to match the reality
And I suppose Windows slaves are not the same than Unix ones

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 4:48 PM, OmPrakash Muppirala
<bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 1:38 PM, Jake Farrell <jf...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Om, Herve
>> What action are you specifically trying to achieve with the role you are
>> referring to as 'maintainer' ?
>>

> Things like setting up builds which require more than just the Jenkins web
> interface, kill stuck jobs, restart machines are required.  Add,
> upgrade/downgrade plugins as required, etc.

I realize it seems like a gigantic catch-22. Can't do much without
karma. Need to do things to demonstrate merit to get karma. Far more
difficult than being able to submit patches to a codebase. That said,
it's also pretty far ranging authority that has a widespread effect on
scores of projects, so it's hard to easily hand it out. It also
requires a decent time investment. There's also plenty of low-hanging
fruit that jobadmin is sufficient for.

>> With the jenkins-admin karma you have you are able to look at jenkins
>> tickets that are in the infrastructure backlog and close them out or you
>> can answering questions on the builds@ list that people have. Just like
>> any other Apache project karma is earned and not just given. This is
>> probably a better link explaining how to volunteer than the wiki link for
>> jenkins
>>

> It does not appear as if there are folks looking at this mailing list to
> evaluate how good a job I am doing here.  I would like to know how many
> admins are actually involved with administering Jenkins.  With machines
> being offline for days together, build issues not being fixed for weeks
> together, I dont think there are many admins around here.  Am I wrong?
>
> Who am I supposed to impress with my work so that I get admin access?  Is
> it just you?

Ultimately I imagine it's the root@ folks who get to make the decision
on granting karma.

>> http://apache.org/dev/infra-volunteer.html#assist
>>

> This link has no mention of Jenkins administration.

It also doesn't mention scores of other services Infra maintains, but
the advice remains valid.

--David

Re: volunteering for ASF Jenkins farm service maintenance

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@lmn.ro>.
On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 11:38 PM, Jake Farrell <jf...@apache.org> wrote:
> Om, Herve
> What action are you specifically trying to achieve with the role you are
> referring to as 'maintainer' ?

I know very little about how you manage the infrastructure, so this
might be very much off the mark, but bear with me :-)

The Wikimedia servers are completely configured throught puppet [1] .
They have also opened up the git repository, so that anyone can clone
it and submit patches if they desire, using their gerrit instance [2]
. This allows external contributors to easily make contributions to
the wikimedia infra, without ever needing OS-level access.

I _know_ it's not as easy as 'make it open' ; there are security
issues to consider and someone needs the time to review these
contributions. However, it would make it much easier for the
build/release engineers of Apache projects to contribute to infra.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

Robert

[1]: https://blog.wikimedia.org/2011/09/19/ever-wondered-how-the-wikimedia-servers-are-configured/
[2]: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/q/status:open+project:operations/puppet,n,z

--
Sent from my (old) computer

Re: volunteering for ASF Jenkins farm service maintenance

Posted by Jake Farrell <jf...@apache.org>.
Om, Herve

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
Jake,