Posted to torque-dev@db.apache.org by Thomas Fischer <fi...@seitenbau.net> on 2010/01/05 11:47:38 UTC

how to proceed with the "generator-4-0" proposal

Hi,

As I read your answers, in principle you are in favour of my proposal
(please let me know if I misinterpreted this)
So I'd suggest the following proceeding:
- I'll create a tar.gz containing the current state (I added some
improvements like better javadoc, mssql support etc)
- I'll start a vote on torque-dev whether to accept the code donation
- if the donation is accepted, we need to check whether I can do the
incubator ip clearance or whether someone else should do this. I'll check
with the incubator PMC after the vote result.
- And finally we need a name. I have chosen "torque-gf"  (for generation
framework) as a first candidate because "generator" is too overloaded in my
opinion, but other suggestions are certainly welcome.

Any thoughts ?

     Thomas

Re: how to proceed with the "generator-4-0" proposal

Posted by Thomas Fischer <fi...@seitenbau.net>.
Thomas Vandahl schrieb am 05.01.2010 17:18:52:

> > - if the donation is accepted, we need to check whether I can do the
> > incubator ip clearance or whether someone else should do this. I'll
check
> > with the incubator PMC after the vote result.
>
> I don't think that a code contribution of a project committer would need
> ip clearance of any sort, let alone incubator handling. I guess a simple
> vote should be sufficient.

I have seen this done before by committers which have developed code
outside apache.
Also http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/ suggests that this is
necessary.
However, the process is quite painless, it should not be big trouble.

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.
Thomas Fischer wrote:
> - I'll start a vote on torque-dev whether to accept the code donation
> - if the donation is accepted, we need to check whether I can do the
> incubator ip clearance or whether someone else should do this. I'll check
> with the incubator PMC after the vote result.

I don't think that a code contribution of a project committer would need
ip clearance of any sort, let alone incubator handling. I guess a simple
vote should be sufficient.

> - And finally we need a name. I have chosen "torque-gf"  (for generation
> framework) as a first candidate because "generator" is too overloaded in my
> opinion, but other suggestions are certainly welcome.

I'd rather keep the name generator, because for the Torque project, it
is what is being replaced. For a later fork of this part to generalize
the generator concept you can choose whatever name suits you best as you
will not be burdened by the Torque-prefix :-)

Bye, Thomas.