Posted to user@ant.apache.org by hi...@accenture.com on 2005/09/15 09:53:37 UTC

incremental builds

Hello folks,
I am not sure you can do this in Ant but anyway i am asking the question:
-Is there a way to perform incremental builds using ant scripts, i.e build only what has changed?
If so does it rely on some manual-scripts-timestamp-moulinette or is there a smarter manner to do so?
Thanks for any help.

Hind Lwahhabi.

Re: incremental builds

Posted by Nicolas Vervelle <ni...@steria.com>.
Hi,

I would say that it depends on the tasks you are using. A few examples :
- for <javac>, you can use <depend> to check dependency
- for <copy>, by default only newer files are copied

You can always use <uptodate>, if/unless in <target> and other tools to
do your own up to date tests.

Which tasks are you considering to use ?

Nicolas

Re: incremental builds

Posted by Jeffrey E Care <ca...@us.ibm.com>.
Many tasks already support incremental builds: javac, copy, move, zip,
native2ascii, etc.

Plus you can always use dependset & uptodate to munge it for tasks that
don't support it.

JEC
--
Jeffrey E. Care (carej@us.ibm.com)