Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Farid Hamjavar <ha...@unm.edu> on 2003/10/23 19:20:54 UTC

[users@httpd] preferred method for disabling general user access

apache  1.3.27 (linux)

greetings,

Issue: disabling general user access of kind:
       http://some_apache_webserver/~user

What is the preferred method?

A, B or both?

Thanks,
Farid
UNM

[A]
<IfModule mod_userdir.c>
    UserDir disable
    #UserDir public_html
</IfModule>

[B]
Commeting out:

LoadModule userdir_module     modules/mod_userdir.so
AddModule mod_userdir.c

RE: [users@httpd] DNS hijacking

Posted by Jeanne Marie Hardin <jm...@hardincomp.port5.com>.
I'm not using a proxy at all. Using NetInfo Classmates.com shows they're
at 65.243.133.81. I used nslookup and got the same IP. Unfortunately I'm
still at a loss as to what's happening.

----------
Jeanne Marie Hardin
HardinComp
http://HardinComp.port5.com/

"Decisions are made by those who show up."
-President Josiah Bartlett
 The West Wing, in the episode "What Kind of Day It Has Been"
 http://westwing.bewarne.com/

Re: [users@httpd] DNS hijacking

Posted by Jonas Eckerman <jo...@frukt.org>.
> I have been running Apache (2.0.47/Win) on my notebook comp as a
> test server for my web design work for a few months now but I have

Are you also using it as a proxy server?

> I hope someone can help me with. Since I installed Apache I find
> that some websites are sent to my local server instead of to the
> server in question.

If you are not using Apache as a proxy server, and has not told your
browser to use http://27.0.0.1:80 or http://27.0.0.1:8000 as proxy,
Apache has nothing to do with this.

> Classmates.com (65.243.133.81) is one server that I can no

What IP address does "classmates.com" resolv to in your machine?
Check with nslookup if you have WinNT/2K/XP, download host (or some
other similar app) if you have Win9x/ME.

If it resolvs to 127.0.0.1, check you hosts file.

/Jonas

--
Jonas Eckerman, jonas_lists@frukt.org
http://www.fsdb.org/

[users@httpd] DNS hijacking

Posted by Jeanne Marie Hardin <jm...@hardincomp.port5.com>.
I have been running Apache (2.0.47/Win) on my notebook comp as a test
server for my web design work for a few months now but I have a problem
I hope someone can help me with. Since I installed Apache I find that
some websites are sent to my local server instead of to the server in
question. Classmates.com (65.243.133.81) is one server that I can no
longer access from my comp, either by the URI or the IP address. For
some reason I get the default page on my own server instead of theirs. I
have these lines set in my httpd.conf file (in the appropriate places,
of course):

	Listen 127.0.0.1:80
	Listen 127.0.0.1:8000

	ServerName 127.0.0.1

Can anyone lend me a clue as to what is wrong with my server?

Posted by Yansheng Lin <ya...@isogis.com>.
Thanks for the quick reply.  I would think so, since no one else complained:).
But I subscribed to a lot of other mailing lists too, tomcat, struts, jetspeed,
etc. Those ones are fine.  Really weird problem... But everything is ok now.
Thanks!

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by Yansheng Lin <ya...@isogis.com>.