Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Michael Matthews <ma...@oclc.org> on 2012/01/13 19:59:59 UTC

Allowing an authorization server to provide an updated scope for OAuth2 tokens

Section 3.3 [1] of the OAuth2 spec suggests that an authorization server may
issue an access token with a scope different than what was requested.  It
goes on to say that the authorization server SHOULD include a "scope"
response parameter to inform the client of the actual scope granted.

We'd like to take advantage of this in our internally developed
authorization server. However it appears that Shindig does not look for this
"scope" parameter in the access token response. It always uses the scope
specified in the gadget (which is stored in the OAuth2Accessor).

It seems to me that the TokenAuthorizationResponseHandler should check the
response from the token endpoint to see if it contains an updated scope
instead of only using the scope from the OAuth2Accessor.  Does this seem
like a reasonable interpretation of the OAuth2 spec? If so, I'd be happy to
create a JIRA and contribute a patch.

Thanks
Mike

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-oauth-v2-21#section-3.3

Re: Shindig 3.0 timeline

Posted by Ryan J Baxter <rj...@us.ibm.com>.
Me too.  I think Paul just needs to give us more privileges.

Regards,

RYAN J. BAXTER
Software Engineer - OpenSocial
IBM Collaboration Solutions

Phone: 1-978-899-3041
E-mail: rjbaxter@us.ibm.com
Blog: ryanjbaxter.com
Chat: rbaxter85 ryanjasonbaxter
Find me on:      and within IBM on:

550 King St
Littleton, MA 01460-1250
United States

From:   Dan Dumont/Westford/IBM@Lotus
To:     dev@shindig.apache.org,
Cc:     aed13@cornell.edu
Date:   01/25/2012 11:30 AM
Subject:        Re: Shindig 3.0 timeline

Paul,

I'd like to address some of the JIRAs (close or reassign), but it appears
that I cannot modify or close JIRAs that I have not created.
Is there a way for me to get this power?   Or do I need to hunt down the
people who created them and ask them to assign them or close them?

From:   Paul Lindner <li...@inuus.com>
To:     dev@shindig.apache.org, aed13@cornell.edu,
Date:   01/25/2012 03:57 AM

Hi Folks.

I started a little housekeeping for 3.0.0:

http://goo.gl/cBNk0

Please add or modify bugs so we only have release blockers that have a
definitive fix.  Feel free to bump to 3.1.0 which is the next version we
can work on.

If you need/want higher-level Jira access let me know.

--
Paul Lindner -- lindner@inuus.com -- profiles.google.com/pmlindner

Re: Shindig 3.0 timeline

Posted by Dan Dumont <dd...@us.ibm.com>.
Works great for me now.  Thanks!

From:   Paul Lindner <li...@inuus.com>
To:     dev@shindig.apache.org,
Cc:     aed13@cornell.edu
Date:   01/25/2012 11:48 AM

I added (I think!) all the committers we voted in recently.  Reload jira
and give it a go.

Also, if you want to have full admin rights on jira I'm happy to grant
that
too.

Re: Shindig 3.0 timeline

Posted by Ryan J Baxter <rj...@us.ibm.com>.
Paul doesn't look like I have the right permissions to edit JIRAs I did
not create, can you double check for me?

From:   Paul Lindner <li...@inuus.com>
To:     dev@shindig.apache.org,
Cc:     aed13@cornell.edu
Date:   01/25/2012 11:46 AM

Re: Shindig 3.0 timeline

Posted by Paul Lindner <li...@inuus.com>.

Re: Shindig 3.0 timeline

From:   Paul Lindner <li...@inuus.com>
To:     dev@shindig.apache.org, aed13@cornell.edu,
Date:   01/25/2012 03:57 AM

Re: Shindig 3.0 timeline

Posted by Paul Lindner <li...@inuus.com>.
Hi Folks.

Re: Shindig 3.0 timeline

Posted by Andrew Davis <an...@gmail.com>.
Paul,

RE: Shindig 3.0 timeline

Posted by "Shtein, Ilya" <Il...@fisglobal.com>.
Hi Dennis,

I submitted a defect to Open Ajax bug tracker, as you requested (ID: 3479818, https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=874168&aid=3479818&group_id=175671).

Please let me know what I should expect next.

Thanks,
Ilya

From:        "Shtein, Ilya" <Il...@fisglobal.com>
To:        "dev@shindig.apache.org" <de...@shindig.apache.org>,
Date:        01/20/2012 10:12 AM
________________________________

Any chance SHINDIG-1497 will be fixed in 3.0.0 (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SHINDIG-1497)? How can a new version be released with such an important feature (pubsub-2) in a broken state? I am not allowed to contribute, but will be happy to provide information to anyone who is willing to work on it.

Thanks,
Ilya

--
Paul Lindner -- lindner@inuus.com -- profiles.google.com/pmlindner

_____________
_____________
The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message and all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any manner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and review by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.<http://www.linkedin.com/in/ryanjbaxter>

<http://www.linkedin.com/in/ryanjbaxter>
 <http://www.linkedin.com/in/ryanjbaxter>
--
Nordic Symposium
Register today: www.liferay.com/nordic2012<http://www.linkedin.com/in/ryanjbaxter>

_____________

RE: Shindig 3.0 timeline

Posted by "Shtein, Ilya" <Il...@fisglobal.com>.
Hi Dennis,

I think I can create an issue on OpenAjax's bug tracker. I am testing against the "official" released version of Shindig, which is 2.0 I think (I replaced OpenAjax 2.0.4 in it with OpenAjax 2.0.5 due to a bug that was fixed in 2.0.5). Didn't have a chance to play with 3.x yet...

I will let you know as soon as the issue is created.

From:        "Shtein, Ilya" <Il...@fisglobal.com>
To:        "dev@shindig.apache.org" <de...@shindig.apache.org>,
Date:        01/20/2012 10:12 AM
________________________________

Re: Shindig 3.0 timeline

Posted by Dennis Ju <de...@liferay.com>.
Hi Ilya,

RE: Shindig 3.0 timeline

From:        "Shtein, Ilya" <Il...@fisglobal.com>>
To:        "dev@shindig.apache.org<ma...@shindig.apache.org>" <de...@shindig.apache.org>>,
Date:        01/20/2012 10:12 AM
________________________________

--
Paul Lindner -- lindner@inuus.com<ma...@inuus.com> -- profiles.google.com/pmlindner

_____________

_____________

RE: Shindig 3.0 timeline

RE: Shindig 3.0 timeline

Posted by "Shtein, Ilya" <Il...@fisglobal.com>.

Re: Shindig 3.0 timeline

Posted by Paul Lindner <li...@inuus.com>.

--
Paul Lindner -- lindner@inuus.com -- profiles.google.com/pmlindner

Re: Shindig 3.0 timeline

Posted by Derek Houghton <de...@chuwori.co.uk>.
Hi,

Shindig 3.0 timeline

Posted by Evgeny Bogdanov <ev...@epfl.ch>.
Hello,

when the shindig 3.0 is due?

Best
Evgeny

Re: Allowing an authorization server to provide an updated scope for OAuth2 tokens

Posted by Michael Matthews <ma...@oclc.org>.
Hi Matthew,

I think the usecase where gadgets can see the scope that was granted is
useful, but it¹s not what we had in mind.

Our use case is an application where a user authenticates and is associated
with an institution.  It¹s possible for a user to login with a different
institution context later. For example, the user may initially login and use
our UI in the context of Institution 1 and then later login and use the UI
in the context of Institution 2.  In this scenario, we want to avoid reuse
of an access token, issued by our authorization server, that was issued to
the user when they were in the context of Institution 1. To do this, we are
considering making our authorization server issue the access token with an
updated scope value.

I haven¹t figured this piece out yet, but we¹d have to provide a custom
implementation of one of Shindig¹s OAuth2 request handlers to modify the
scope when checking to see if an access token already exists in the
OAuth2Store.

Mike

Posted by Matthew G Marum <mg...@us.ibm.com>.
Hi Mike,

I agree with your reading of the OAuth 2 spec.  The scope of the access
token that is granted to the consumer does not have to be the same as what
was requested.

I think gadgets need to be able to see the scope that was granted in order
to cleanly handle situations were they have access to some but not all the
requested resources.  Is this the use case that you had in mind?

Matthew G Marum
Software Engineer | IBM Software Emerging Standards
mgmarum@us.ibm.com | Office: 1 919 254 9702

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Michael Matthews <ma...@oclc.org>                                                                                                         |
|------------>
| To:        |
  |"dev@shindig.apache.org" <de...@shindig.apache.org>                                                                                            |
| Date:      |
  |01/13/2012 02:01 PM                                                                                                                          |
| Subject:   |