Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Peter <pe...@yahoo.de> on 2011/07/26 16:33:01 UTC

Re: Solr vs ElasticSearch

Have a look:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2271600/elasticsearch-sphinx-lucene-solr-xapian-which-fits-for-which-usage

http://karussell.wordpress.com/2011/05/12/elasticsearch-vs-solr-lucene/

Regards,
Peter.

Re: Solr vs ElasticSearch

Posted by Charlie Hull <ch...@flax.co.uk>.
On 01/08/2014 09:53, Alexandre Rafalovitch wrote:
> Thank you Charlie, very informative even if non-scientific.
>
> About the aggregations, are they very different from:
> http://heliosearch.org/solr-facet-functions/ (obviously not yet
> production ready)?

They're the same sort of thing. The ES significant terms aggregation is
particularly cool for spotting anomalies (look up Mark Harwood's blogs
and presentations on the subject). I think the new analytic capabilities
in Solr, Heliosearch and ES have some awesome potential.

Cheers

Charlie

Re: Solr vs ElasticSearch

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.

Re: Solr vs ElasticSearch

Posted by Charlie Hull <ch...@flax.co.uk>.

Re: Solr vs ElasticSearch

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.

Re: Solr vs ElasticSearch

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>.
Elasticsearch and Solr are both based on Lucene, so a sizeable fraction of
performance will be similar if not identical.

IOW, they are both using the same "search engine" under the hood.

Sure, the right "tires", "transmission", and "body" can make a big
difference in performance as well, but the engine is the point to focus on.

Back when ES first came out, Solr was not so easily scalable and ES was
"cool" because it had a cleaner JSON-based REST API.

But now, Solr has SolrCloud and supports JSON for both input documents and
query results, so... the differences are a lot more muted.

I would say that ES does still have a cleaner REST API, but I'm not sure how
much that really matters for most use cases. Clearly it matters to some
people, but I suspect a lot of people are gravitating to ES solely because
they hear people say "You've got to check out Elasticsearch!" rather than
for some clear and obvious benefit in terms of features, performance, and
scalability.

-- Jack Krupansky

I did see that earlier. My main concern is search
performance/scalability/throughput which unfortunately that article didn't
address. Any benchmarks or comments about that?

We are already using SOLR but there has been a push to check elasticsearch.
All the benchmarks I have seen are at least few years old.

On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 4:59 AM, Otis Gospodnetic <otis.gospodnetic@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Not super fresh, but more recent than the 2 links you sent:
> http://blog.sematext.com/2012/08/23/solr-vs-elasticsearch-part-1-overview/
>
> Otis
>

> On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 10:33 PM, Salman Akram <
> salman.akram@northbaysolutions.net> wrote:
>
> > This is quite an old discussion. Wanted to check any new comparisons
> after
> > SOLR 4 especially with regards to performance/scalability/throughput?
> >

> > On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 7:33 PM, Peter <pe...@yahoo.de> wrote:
> >
> > > Have a look:
> > >

> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2271600/elasticsearch-sphinx-lucene-solr-xapian-which-fits-for-which-usage
> > >

> http://karussell.wordpress.com/2011/05/12/elasticsearch-vs-solr-lucene/
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Peter.
> > >
> > > --
> > >

> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Salman Akram

Salman Akram

Re: Solr vs ElasticSearch

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@heliosearch.com>.
On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 2:43 AM, Alexandre Rafalovitch
<ar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That resource is rather superficial. I wouldn't make big decision based on it.

Agree.  It's also somewhat biased given the environment in which it
grew.  ES advocates were all over stuff like that, but Solr advocates
were less vocal.

Qualitatively:
Solr facets and function queries were faster for ages (no idea if they
still are or not...).
Solr's faceting took up far less memory (that's probably changed
too)... but no mention.
Solr had efficient deep paging first, but most assume it was the other
way around: https://github.com/elasticsearch/elasticsearch/issues/4940
Solr's "function queries" were far faster - I evaluated the mvel
scripting language used by ES for this stuff... it was dog slow.

Some something more concrete:
Solr's faceting gives exact counts for the constraints returned, while
ES still does not (it still does a naive "sum top N from each shard".)

Some things in the table are just wrong:
- Under "joins" for Solr, it says "It's not supported in distributed
search.", yet ES has the exact same limitations... joined docs must be
on the same shard (and provided that is true, joins are both supported
in Solr and ES).
- The comment for "Negative Boosting" is just wrong.  It is supported.
- "Online schema changes" is incorrect for Solr - it is supported.
- "Structured Query DSL"... yes, we've had it forever.  No it's not JSON.
- "Advanced Faceting" is simply a "no" under solr and a "yes" under
ES... this is incorrect.  The tooltip says "metrics and bucketing",
which solr has had forever (facet stats) that tons of people have used
to build BI tools.  Heliosearch adds even more of course.

There are probably things wrong on the ES side too of course.

But then at the bottom some of the things in "Thoughts..." are unfair
and biasing...
"""As Matt Weber points out below, ElasticSearch was built to be
distributed from the ground up, not tacked on as an 'afterthought'
like it was with Solr. This is totally evident when examining the
design and architecture of the 2 products, and also when browsing the
source code."""

That's from a well known ES advocate of course.  But software, just
like arguments, should be evaluated in it's merits.

-Yonik
http://heliosearch.org - native code faceting, facet functions,
sub-facets, off-heap data

Re: Solr vs ElasticSearch

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
That resource is rather superficial. I wouldn't make big decision based on it.

As to performance, ElasticSearch stores the full submitted content as
_source field. That allows it some extra tricks (like fake-nested
documents), but also has a storage price. You can disable the _source
field, but then some functionality goes away.

Also, ES relies a lot on scripting to replace things that Solr has as
built-in or as compiled classes. Obviously, scripting can be more
flexible, but it is inherently slower. Though I think ES was trying to
make this faster in recent releases.

But yes, in general, the bulk of work happens in Lucene.

Re: Solr vs ElasticSearch

Posted by Salman Akram <sa...@northbaysolutions.net>.
Thanks everyone!! This has been really helpful discussion and in short
based on this we have taken the decision to stick to SOLR.

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 6:17 PM, Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>
wrote:

> And neither project supports the Lucene faceting module, correct?
>
> And the ES web site says: "WARNING: Facets are deprecated and will be
> removed in a future release. You are encouraged to migrate to aggregations
> instead."
>
> That makes it more of an apples/oranges comparison.
>
> -- Jack Krupansky
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Toke Eskildsen
> Sent: Monday, August 4, 2014 3:33 AM
> To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
>
> Subject: Re: Solr vs ElasticSearch
>
> On Mon, 2014-08-04 at 08:31 +0200, Harald Kirsch wrote:
>
>> As for performance, I would expect that it is very hard to find one of
>> the two technologies to be generally ahead. Except for plain blunders
>> that may be lurking in the code, I would think the inner loops, the
>> stuff that really burns CPU cycles, all happens in Lucene, which is the
>> same for both.
>>

> Faceting/Aggregation is implemented independently and with different
> designs for Solr and Elasticsearch. I would be surprised if memory
> overhead and performance were about the same for this functionality.
>
> - Toke Eskildsen, State and University Library, Denmark

Salman Akram

Re: Solr vs ElasticSearch

Re: Solr vs ElasticSearch

Posted by Toke Eskildsen <te...@statsbiblioteket.dk>.

Re: Solr vs ElasticSearch

Posted by Harald Kirsch <Ha...@raytion.com>.

Re: Solr vs ElasticSearch

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.

Re: Solr vs ElasticSearch

Posted by Salman Akram <sa...@northbaysolutions.net>.
I did see that earlier. My main concern is search
performance/scalability/throughput which unfortunately that article didn't
address. Any benchmarks or comments about that?

We are already using SOLR but there has been a push to check elasticsearch.
All the benchmarks I have seen are at least few years old.

On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 4:59 AM, Otis Gospodnetic <otis.gospodnetic@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Not super fresh, but more recent than the 2 links you sent:
> http://blog.sematext.com/2012/08/23/solr-vs-elasticsearch-part-1-overview/
>
> Otis
>

> On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 10:33 PM, Salman Akram <
> salman.akram@northbaysolutions.net> wrote:
>
> > This is quite an old discussion. Wanted to check any new comparisons
> after
> > SOLR 4 especially with regards to performance/scalability/throughput?
> >

> > On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 7:33 PM, Peter <pe...@yahoo.de> wrote:
> >
> > > Have a look:
> > >

> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2271600/elasticsearch-sphinx-lucene-solr-xapian-which-fits-for-which-usage
> > >

> http://karussell.wordpress.com/2011/05/12/elasticsearch-vs-solr-lucene/
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Peter.
> > >
> > > --
> > >

> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Salman Akram

Salman Akram

Re: Solr vs ElasticSearch

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.

Re: Solr vs ElasticSearch

Posted by Salman Akram <sa...@northbaysolutions.net>.
This is quite an old discussion. Wanted to check any new comparisons after
SOLR 4 especially with regards to performance/scalability/throughput?

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 7:33 PM, Peter <pe...@yahoo.de> wrote:

> Have a look:
>

> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2271600/elasticsearch-sphinx-lucene-solr-xapian-which-fits-for-which-usage
>
> http://karussell.wordpress.com/2011/05/12/elasticsearch-vs-solr-lucene/