Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by John Hutchison <hu...@vmware.com> on 2020/12/01 17:45:18 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Geode 1.14

Apologies if this detracts from the conversation of folks who have much more in depth knowledge of the codebase than I do- please feel free to ignore if this seems off base.

As a non-committing contributor  who works mostly on code outside of core Geode, it seems like  an always shippable develop would go a long way towards keeping the overall process feeling healthy.   It is, however,  frustrating to think of Redis work (with relies only on minor changes to geode core, along with other core in another module) being hung up while unrelated bugs are worked on. Not to complicate the conversation (and please feel free to ignore if this has been considered and thrown out before), but I wonder if it would be feasible (or desirable ) to try get to a place where we could ship parts of the code base separately, as “plugins, ” while continuing to work on the overall health of the core application?

From: Alexander Murmann <am...@vmware.com>
Date: Monday, November 30, 2020 at 2:57 PM
To: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Geode 1.14
Hi all,

Thanks, Owen for reminding us all of this topic!

I wonder how we feel about the state of develop right now. If we cut 1.14 right now, it will make it easier to stabilize and ship it. However, I see 21 open JIRA tickets affecting 1.14.0. It might be better to have an all-hands effort to address as much as possible on develop and then cut 1.14. If we shift all attention to 1.14, develop will likely never get better. I'd love to get closer to an always shippable develop branch. That should vastly reduce future release pain and make everyday development better as well.

Thoughts?
________________________________
    From: Alexander Murmann <am...@apache.org>
    Date: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 4:34 PM
    To: dev@geode.apache.org <de...@geode.apache.org>
    Subject: [PROPOSAL] Postpone Geode 1.14
    Hi all,

    As mentioned on the previous discuss thread, I propose to hold off cutting
    1.14 until we have shipped 1.13.

    Once we have shipped 1.13, we should discuss when we want to cut the 1.14
    release. The actual ship date for Geode 1.13 is important information for
    that conversation. Thus we cannot have that conversation before then.