Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Billy Ng <bi...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/05 22:25:10 UTC

Tomcat having problems under load

Hi folks,

I am using Tomcat 5.5.20 on a Linux box with 8 CPUs and 8GB of RAM.  I am seeing a really strange behavior.  The web app has 1 very heavy load servlet, but I notice only 1 CPU is busy.  Then, the Tomcat is only up for 15 minutes and die.  Any thing I should look at?

Thanks in advance!

Billy Ng

Re: Tomcat having problems under load

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.
Billy, nothing on TV so I playing here ;)
You need to collect some info and explain the details... so if I guess
wrong, the gurus can help you later ;)

When you say Tomcat up for 15 mins and dies... does tomcat crash?... is
there an error log, if so get it ready and post it?
Or is it just a browser error page?
When you say strange behaviour... is this something that was working and
suddenly stopped working or is it a new installation?
Either way post your JK worker and mounts and connector configuration.

I think 2 possibe problems...
Either the "heavy servlet" has a problem and via a lock or bad sync, or
something else... its just not getting through the code, stuck in a wait.
Or your JK connection is screwed and the connection is just not getting
thru...

Put Tomcat back on port 8080 (add the connector back) if its not there....
and see if the servlet works on port 8080
If not... it is the servlet... if it works on 8080... your JK connector is
screwed.

If servlet is screwed, then put the thing back into the debugger... Netbeans
whatever, and try find the block, lock, loop whatever... threading can be
tricky.

So thats what you got to do.... the problem as I "guess" it, is that the
connection is not getting thru, the browser is hanging around waiting for
Tomcat to do something and eventually says... I give up, after 15 mins....
which suggests a bad JK config.

I think the reason you see one CPU being scheduled is because one thread is
allocated and then it gets stuck... If you do another browser I think you'll
see the next thread allocated to the next CPU and that will also get
stuck... something like that... I wouldnt worry about the CPU utilization
until the thing actually works...

I've never had a problem like this... so try the above, and if you dont come
right, come back here with "lots of feedback" ;)

Thanks for the machine info btw... its a dual quad, I think... I dont know
of any board with 8 physical processors... just wanted to see it, if it did
exist... ha ha

Good luck

> It is a Dell box.  Only my IT knows the detail.  The Linux is 64-bit and
> java has 5GB in the heap.  It should be enough.  The Tomcat never runs out
> of memory.  Al least, I do not see it in the logs.  I would not think it
> is a memory issue.  We are using apache+mod_jk_+tomcat. I wonder if the
> mod_jk or garbarge collection fails me.
>>
>> I am using Tomcat 5.5.20 on a Linux box with 8 CPUs and 8GB of RAM.  I am
>> seeing a really strange behavior.  The web app has 1 very heavy load
>> servlet, but I notice only 1 CPU is busy.  Then, the Tomcat is only up
>> for 15 minutes and die.  Any thing I should look at?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!

The only real POJO Application Server.

Re: Tomcat having problems under load