Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Jack <jf...@jinkmail.com> on 2003/05/09 21:09:08 UTC

Password Hashing Algorithm

What are the valid values for the Password Hashing Algorithm column when
using the JamesUsersJdbcRepository?  For testing purposes, I'd like to
just enter plain text passwords in the User table, leaving the
pwdAlgorithm column null, empty, or flagged with "none" or something
similar.

Thanks.

Jack

RE: Password Hashing Algorithm

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> What are the valid values for the Password Hashing Algorithm

See java.security.MessageDigest, specifically the getInstance(String
algorithm) method.

ref:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/docs/api/java/security/MessageDigest.html

> For testing purposes, I'd like to just enter plain text passwords in the
User table

James always runs MimeUtility.encode(fos, "base64") on the resulting digest.

FWIW, org.apache.james.security.DigestUtil can be run as a standalone
program to experiment.

	--- Noel