Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Nikolay Izhikov <ni...@apache.org> on 2019/09/20 10:06:16 UTC

Re: [IEP-35] Metrics management in Ignite

Hello, Andrey.

Thanks for starting this discussion.

> 1. There is no unified approach to adding metrics during development.

Yes, we have it.
Just call `MetricRegistry#longMetric` or other method and you got your counter.

> Now the logic is spread throughout the code base and there is now any
> way to find proper place where particular metric could be added to the
> registry

You should obtain your counter in the place where it be updated or exported.
If you update the same counter in several place, it seems to be as a bad code design which should be investigated.

I treat this as a feature that adds flexibility to the Ignite code.

> Moreover, we can create registry in one place and add some
> set of metrics to the registry in another place and we have many
> examples of it.

What's wrong with this approach?
I treat this as a feature, also.

> Of course, metrics API allows it and it is meaningful drawback from my point view

The goal of Metric API was simplifying of metric creation.
Because, in the past years Ignite doesn't have a way to create meaningfull metric.
I know many cases where specific metrics was not implemented because of development complexity.

From my point of view, we shouldn't complicate process of creation of specific metric.
It will slow down creation of new metric therefore slow down product evolving.

> 2. Introduce MetricRegistryBuilder that returns immutable instance of MetricRegistry

If we want immutable MetricRegistry we can create simple POJO objects with metric getters as follows

public class CacheMetric {
	public LongMetric putsCount() { ... }
	public LongMetric getsCount() { ... }
}

and export it using `AttributeWalker` approach I implement in System View contribution.
There is no need for a HashMap unified solution.

We can extend `AttibuteWalkerGenerator` to generate all required boilerplace code (for enabling/disabling metrics, etc.)

I want to bold my statement: We should keep metric creation as simple as we can.
Developer of specific metric shouldn't change dozens of static interfaces, implementations, enable/disable methods.
It should only update metric in the specific places in core code.

Posted by Nikolay Izhikov <ni...@apache.org>.
Hello, Andrey.

> My proposal target is simplification of metrics adding to the code.
> There is no any complexity.

That's great.

Looking forward for your PR.
Please, don't hesitate to request my review for it.

Posted by Andrey Gura <ag...@apache.org>.
Nikolay,