Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jeffrey Janner <Je...@PolyDyne.com> on 2014/10/17 19:12:43 UTC

Anyway to enable just all TLS protocols in APR connector?

Documentation for the APR connector says setting SSLProtocol="all" (the default) enables TLSv1+SSLv3, but actually enables TLSv1.1 and TLSv1.2 as well. However, it only seems to accept SSLProtocol strings that includes TLSv1, SSLv2, SSLv3 or their combinations. In other words, there doesn't seem to be a way to specify that you only want all 3 TLS versions and none of the SSL versions.  Is there something I'm missing?

FYI: I checked Bugzilla on this, and there seems to be some work progressing on coding support, but it also interjected a regression to turn SSLv2 back on by default.
The question is, if there is no current "magic string" that Tomcat will accept to enable full TLS support, is this something we will have to wait for 7.0.57 (and the equivalent 6 & 8 versions) to be able to address?

Jeffrey Janner

Re: Anyway to enable just all TLS protocols in APR connector?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Jeffrey,

On 10/17/14 4:20 PM, Jeffrey Janner wrote:
>> -----Original Message----- From: Jeffrey Janner
>> [mailto:Jeffrey.Janner@PolyDyne.com] Sent: Friday, October 17,
>> 2014 3:04 PM To: 'Tomcat Users List' Subject: RE: Anyway to
>> enable just all TLS protocols in APR connector?
>>
>>> -----Original Message----- From: Christopher Schultz
>>> [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net] Sent: Friday, October 17,
>>> 2014 12:26 PM To: Tomcat Users List Subject: Re: Anyway to
>>> enable just all TLS protocols in APR connector?
>>>
> Jeffrey,

> Why do you think that's the case?
>>>
>>> Qualys/SSLLabs reports it as such.  Using tomcat 7.0.50 and
>>> latest APR build.

> Correct. Patches are in the works. Tomcat 7 and Tomcat 8 are
> patched; expect new builds soon.

> Nope.

> This can happen in certain situations, like saying that you want
> TLSvX+SSLv3 but no TLS versions are supported by OpenSSL. In that
> case, you get SSLv23 which I believe in OpenSSL means "SSLv3 +
> SSLv2Hello" which is only as dangerous as SSLv3 right now.
>>>
>>> Actually, I was looking at the most recent patch code. It
>>> actually modified to definition of ALL to include SSLv2. I
>>> pointed it out on Bugzilla, but thought I'd mention it here as
>>> well.
>>>

>> Chris, when I said most recent, I meant latest posted to the
>> Bugzilla entry when I read it. Just reviewed it again and see
>> that's not the patch you guys are implementing.

Can you check tcnative 1.1.x branch in subversion and Tomcat 7 or 8 in
subversion and let me know how they work for you (or don't)? No reason
to wait until there is an official build for testing.

> Unfortunately, yes. You'll also need to wait for tcnative 1.1.32 as
> well.
>>>
>>> With baited breath, but not holding it.

It should be coming soon. I think markt is going to single-handedly
tag+release 3 Tomcat versions plus tcnative on all platforms. ;)

- -chris

RE: Anyway to enable just all TLS protocols in APR connector?

Posted by Jeffrey Janner <Je...@PolyDyne.com>.

Posted by Jeffrey Janner <Je...@PolyDyne.com>.

I shall defer to those perhaps wiser than moi:
http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-bai1.htm

Re: Anyway to enable just all TLS protocols in APR connector?

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Bob Hall <rf...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
On Friday, October 17, 2014 1:05 PM, Jeffrey Janner <Je...@PolyDyne.com> wrote:

>  With baited breath, but not holding it.

Should be "bated breath".

- Bob

RE: Anyway to enable just all TLS protocols in APR connector?

Posted by Jeffrey Janner <Je...@PolyDyne.com>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.