Posted to commons-dev@ws.apache.org by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk> on 2006/03/09 09:17:51 UTC

Maintaining SNAPSHOTS

Hi all,

We have a slight problem with SNAPSHOT dependencies.

Consider the two points.

   1. When other projects depend on SNAPSHOTs, that means they are
      working against the current working head of the project. So they
      do not worry abt the version of the SNAPSHOT jar they are using.
   2. With the current state, say policy was in 0.90-SNAPSHOT state.
      After the 0.9 release, policy-0.90-SNAPSHOT was not available
      (which is fine), and was named to policy-0.92-SNAPSHOT.jar. This
      cause problems to dependent projects.

So due to above reasons, I feel putting the version number in to the
SNAPSHOT jar is not a good idea at all. So I'd like propose not to put
the version number with any of the commons projects jars. For example,
the latest policy jar will be policy-SNAPSHOT.jar.

What do you all think ?

-- Chinthaka

Re: Maintaining SNAPSHOTS

Posted by Sanka Samaranayake <sa...@apache.org>.

Re: Maintaining SNAPSHOTS

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
ABSOLUTELY +1 .. I've been arguing for this for a while but kept getting
shot down. I'll be glad to see us make this change!

Sanjiva.

Re: Maintaining SNAPSHOTS

Posted by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk>.
Hi all,

Now the names of snapshots of axiom and policy doesn't contain the
version number as we agreed earlier. So please update your projects with
that.

-- Chinthaka

Re: Maintaining SNAPSHOTS

Posted by Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org>.
+1 to that! If we have to maintain multiple branches then we can keep
a snapshot of each and include the branch name in the snapshot.

Re: Maintaining SNAPSHOTS

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.

--
Dan Diephouse
Envoi Solutions

Re: Maintaining SNAPSHOTS

Posted by Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>.
+1 ...

Eran Chinthaka wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We have a slight problem with SNAPSHOT dependencies.
>
> Consider the two points.
>
>    1. When other projects depend on SNAPSHOTs, that means they are
>       working against the current working head of the project. So they
>       do not worry abt the version of the SNAPSHOT jar they are using.
>    2. With the current state, say policy was in 0.90-SNAPSHOT state.
>       After the 0.9 release, policy-0.90-SNAPSHOT was not available
>       (which is fine), and was named to policy-0.92-SNAPSHOT.jar. This
>       cause problems to dependent projects.
>
> So due to above reasons, I feel putting the version number in to the
> SNAPSHOT jar is not a good idea at all. So I'd like propose not to put
> the version number with any of the commons projects jars. For example,
> the latest policy jar will be policy-SNAPSHOT.jar.
>
> What do you all think ?
>
> -- Chinthaka

Deepal
~Future is Open~