Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Lance A <la...@yahoo.com> on 2005/07/27 22:00:28 UTC

Maven 1.1 vs 2.0: Thoughts and question on plugin compatibility

All-

I'm just getting started on a project and have
virtually decided to use Maven for the builds.

However, it looks like there are some sizable
differences between versions 1.1 and 2.0 with the
latter being just in alpha at the moment.  On that
note, I'd like to hear thoughts on the following:

1. The target app looks like a pretty standard
enterprise app built on Tapestry, JBoss (EJB & JMS),
Hibernate, and SQL Server.  I'm just wondering if
anyone's encountered any issues with the interplay of
a Maven build process with the above alphabet soup on
either version of Maven.

2. The list of available plugins for 2.0 is noticeably
shorter with some necessary ones (JBoss and Hibernate
for example) missing or seemingly outdated.  Any word
on the difficulty of porting a 1.1 plugin to support
2.0?

Thanks,
Lance

Re: Maven 1.1 vs 2.0: Thoughts and question on plugin compatibility

Posted by Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com>.
the plugins are not compatiable, but then you prolley knew that.

there are a number of us working on porting and writing new plugins for m2.

the basic structure for a simple plugin is _very_ easy in m2.  I think
the sablecc plugin I wrote was only 100 lines long is all, and most of
that is just the default plugin structure.

now, a jboss plugin would probably be a bit more on the complex side,
but if you list out how you want to use it might tickle someones fancy
to port it or write it.  it will get done sometime

or write the plugin yourself and submit it as a patch to jira, that is
quite easy to do as well

irc has proven to be an invaluable resource in getting my setup up and
running.  some things are still in flux but I have been extremely
impressed by how it is laid out.  m2 that is

irc: irc.codehaus.org #maven

Jesse

On 7/27/05, Lance A <la...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> All-
>
> I'm just getting started on a project and have
> virtually decided to use Maven for the builds.
>
> However, it looks like there are some sizable
> differences between versions 1.1 and 2.0 with the
> latter being just in alpha at the moment.  On that
> note, I'd like to hear thoughts on the following:
>
> 1. The target app looks like a pretty standard
> enterprise app built on Tapestry, JBoss (EJB & JMS),
> Hibernate, and SQL Server.  I'm just wondering if
> anyone's encountered any issues with the interplay of
> a Maven build process with the above alphabet soup on
> either version of Maven.
>
> 2. The list of available plugins for 2.0 is noticeably
> shorter with some necessary ones (JBoss and Hibernate
> for example) missing or seemingly outdated.  Any word
> on the difficulty of porting a 1.1 plugin to support
> 2.0?
>
> Thanks,
> Lance

jesse mcconnell