Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by satish jupalli <ju...@gmail.com> on 2016/03/08 03:27:07 UTC

Karaf features vs deploy folder on Production

Based on couple of questions over the usage of deploy folder on production
seems to be not a good option.

Though I got that, I'm trying to understand the implications of using
deploy folder for production deployment instead of features.

What is the underlying cause for suggesting features.xml instead of deploy
folder.

Any insights will be helpful. Also any karaf documentation references with
regards to same are appreciated.

Re: Karaf features vs deploy folder on Production

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@apache.org>.
The main reason, as hinted by Jean-Baptiste is the fact that when using the
deploy folder, there's a much more limited control over the deployment
order of the bundles.
For example if you need to deploy 10 bundles, you copy them to the deploy
folder, but the scanner may run while copying, so it may try to install 3
bundles, which may fail because they need other bundles which have not been
copied yet.  The problem should be solved a few seconds later when the
other bundles are copied and the scanner has run again.
Although, this way of deploying bundles, the start level of bundles can't
be controlled and you can't make sure the configuration bits will be
deployed at the same time.  I think the refreshing of other bundles (for
optional packages, fragments, etc...) is correctly dealt with, so it may
not be as complete as the features deployer processing.

Guillaume

--
------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Email: gnodet@redhat.com
Web: http://fusesource.com
Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/

Re: Karaf features vs deploy folder on Production

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Satish,

Deploy is usable in production but I strongly advice only for atomic
artifacts. For instance, a bundle that requires bunch of dependency
bundles can be painful (deployment order, etc) in the deploy folder. kar
are mostly fine.

My preferred approach is to use features and deploy it using command or
JMX. In some case/conditions, I'm using deploy folder with bundle or kar
(not features XML).

My €0.01

Regards
JB

On 03/08/2016 03:27 AM, satish jupalli wrote:
> Based on couple of questions over the usage of deploy folder on
> production seems to be not a good option.
>
> Though I got that, I'm trying to understand the implications of using
> deploy folder for production deployment instead of features.
>
> What is the underlying cause for suggesting features.xml instead of
> deploy folder.
>
> Any insights will be helpful. Also any karaf documentation references
> with regards to same are appreciated.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org