Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com> on 2009/06/13 14:49:50 UTC

Releasing: Step 11: Deploy the current website same as Step 7: Stage the latest documentation ?

11. Deploy the current website

Note: Be sure to generate and deploy the site using the same version
of the release. Typically, you need to check out the tag (or go to
target/checkout)

cd target\checkout
mvn site-deploy -Preporting

7. Stage the latest documentation

The plugin parent POM is configured to stage the documentation in a
"versioned" directory such as /plugins/maven-XXX-plugin-Y.Z.

   1. Stage the documentation for the current release version (not the
new snapshot).

      cd target/checkout
      mvn site:stage-deploy -Preporting

But isn't the output of these the same content?
So instead of re-running this couldn't I just copy the already
deployed version in /www/maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-XXX-plugin-Y.Z
to /www/maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-XXX-plugin ?

Re: Releasing: Step 11: Deploy the current website same as Step 7: Stage the latest documentation ?

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
It's what I do. I log on people.apache.org, I remove the old site and copy
the new one
Arnaud

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 9:34 PM, Benjamin
Bentmann<be...@udo.edu> wrote:
> Barrie Treloar wrote:
>
>> (and for me the site:stage-deploy fails, I dont know
>> whether site-deploy has the same problems - i cant recall)
>
> What exactly is the error with site:stage-deploy you observe? Problems with
> authentication? Did you configure your settings with a server entry for the
> repository "stagingSite"?

site-deploy works for me

I dont remember why site:stage-deploy fails.
I will check.

Hmm, It works now.
I was sure I tried it before doing the work around, but maybe I didn't.

Re: Releasing: Step 11: Deploy the current website same as Step 7: Stage the latest documentation ?

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.
Barrie Treloar wrote:

> (and for me the site:stage-deploy fails, I dont know
> whether site-deploy has the same problems - i cant recall)

What exactly is the error with site:stage-deploy you observe? Problems
with authentication? Did you configure your settings with a server entry
for the repository "stagingSite"?

Benjamin

Re: Releasing: Step 11: Deploy the current website same as Step 7: Stage the latest documentation ?

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Wendy Smoak wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 8:06 PM, Vincent
> Siveton<vi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2009/6/13 Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>:
>
>> The differences are mainly about links.
>> See this MPIR staging page [1] vs final [2]
>
> But that's a bug in the site plugin, right?  It _ought_ to be the same
> content from stage-deploy and deploy.

Yes, that is a bug in the Site Plugin, or some library that the Site
Plugin uses. The two goals *should* produce the same output, but to
different locations.

See http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MSITE-404 for the simplest use case
that shows off this bug. I have looked at this and I'm afraid that I
don't understand why things happen the way they do. So if someone else
could have a look at it, I'd appreciate it. Note that this is a Linux
bug - it works on Windows.

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: Releasing: Step 11: Deploy the current website same as Step 7: Stage the latest documentation ?

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 12:36 PM, Vincent
Siveton<vi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes site deploy could fail as described in 7a.
> But since the content is not the same, I recommend you to use site and
> not copy dir.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Vincent
>
> [1] http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-project-info-reports-plugin-2.1.1/project-summary.html
> [2] http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-project-info-reports-plugin/project-summary.html

Thank you.

Re: Releasing: Step 11: Deploy the current website same as Step 7: Stage the latest documentation ?

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Barrie,

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 12:09 AM, Vincent
Siveton<vi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Barrie,
>
> 2009/6/13 Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>:
>> So instead of re-running this couldn't I just copy the already
>> deployed version in /www/maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-XXX-plugin-Y.Z
>> to /www/maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-XXX-plugin ?
>
> IMHO it is not the correct solution: mvn site:deploy and mvn
> site:stage-deploy have different behaviours.

Can you explain the differences?
They generate the same content right?

> Also, staging site is also used for historic reason: we want to keep
> the previous site version of maven-XXX-plugin-Y.Z.

I just ran
cp -pr /www/maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-XXX-plugin-Y.Z
/www/maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-XXX-plugin
chmod -R a+rX,g+w /www/maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-XXX-plugin

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Barrie,

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 5:49 AM, Barrie Treloar<ba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> But isn't the output of these the same content?
> So instead of re-running this couldn't I just copy the already
> deployed version in /www/maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-XXX-plugin-Y.Z
> to /www/maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-XXX-plugin ?

Yes, it just depends on whether you'd rather run another Maven command
locally, or ssh into people.a.o and work at the command prompt there.
It's written so that it does not require shell access.

--
Wendy