Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Raju Balugu <ra...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/27 14:37:14 UTC

What are the advantages on tomcat5.5.17 over the tomcat4.1.29

Hi All,

I subscribed to this list recently...and hopes somebody may asked this
question..also but i am in need of information on this.

We are planing to migrate from tomcat 4.1.29 to tomcat 5.5.17 for that i
would like to know you people what are the advantages and  disadvantages on
tomcat 5.5.17?(I mean performance and managing ,monitoring..)

Please this is very urgent for me .I googled but didn't find the useful info
..

Thanks in advance..

Regards
Raju

Re: What are the advantages on tomcat5.5.17 over the tomcat4.1.29

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.
Then you need to google again.  This subject has been covered in various
ways on the list:

1. 5.0.x and 5.5.x both support servlet spec 2.4 (4.1.x supports servlet
spec 2.3)
2. 5.5 no longer requires a JDK.  A JRE is sufficient
3. There have been HUGE performance improvements in 5.5 (comparable to
apache httpd these days)

I'm sure there are other advantages not listed here.  Google again and
take a read through the tomcat docs.

--David