Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org> on 2012/03/19 17:32:31 UTC

Re: IP clearance issues

On 03/19/12 05:03, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:

>> I see .. That testing is very important, thanks.
>>
>> I guess I am rather worried that our first reviewer actually
>> thought he could trust us on the IP review. I suspect I have
>> also been the only looking at the NOTICE and LICENSE files.
>
> you were not the only one but I had nothing to add so far ;-)
>
> But I don't know if you have the feedback on general@incubator to my
> request for early feedback.

Yes, and that's precisely why I am worried ;-).
> Marvin was surprise that our LICENSE file contains ALv2 license only
> and list not all licenses of used externals.

No finger pointing but this was a surprise for me too: we were wrongly
advised that LICENSE should only carry the AL2.

I added a DISCLAIMER file (I used Apache OpenOffice but please note that
officially we still are the Apache OpenOffice.org incubator), And I did some
more cleanups on the thirdpartylicenses.html which is a good basis to
complete the information.

I plan to merge the remaining licenses but I want to keep the same
order as in the NOTICE file: we have the non-Apache stuff in two
sections according to the license category.

> Any opinions on this how we can address this best?

The great weakness I've seen is that we have left most work to
Andrew and this shouldn't be a one man effort. Normal audits
are done by N volunteers dividing the tree in N parts, and binaries
(particularly zip files) have to be reviewed too. That said ...
if we had an updated OpenGrok or a real equivalent it would be
a lot easier.

As I said we don't need coders for this but this is a good way to
get to know the components and code structure under OO.

cheers,

Pedro.

Re: IP clearance issues

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi Pedro,

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 12:31:29PM -0500, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> On 03/19/12 11:55, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> >That said ...
> >>if we had an updated OpenGrok or a real equivalent it would be
> >>a lot easier.
> >of course a working OpenGrok would be nice. We have a local
> >instance running that gets updated every night but that doesn't
> >help you at the moment :-(
> >

> I found a replacement: ;)
>
> ____
> grep -R GPL main/*

git has its internal grep command:

http://people.apache.org/~arielch/git-grep-GPL.txt

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

Re: IP clearance issues

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
On 03/19/12 11:55, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> That said ...
>> if we had an updated OpenGrok or a real equivalent it would be
>> a lot easier.
> of course a working OpenGrok would be nice. We have a local instance
> running that gets updated every night but that doesn't help you at the
> moment :-(

I found a replacement: ;)

____
grep -R GPL main/*

(lots of noise from my HD and some false positives)
,
Binary file main/extras/source/autotext/lang/da/acor_da-DK.dat matches
Binary file
main/extras/source/templates/layout/lang/en-US/lyt-glacier.otp matches
Binary file main/extras/source/templates/layout/lang/de/lyt-glacier.otp
matches
main/helpauthoring/filter/xmlhelp2soffice.xsl:  Licensed under LGPL
main/helpauthoring/HelpAuthoring/_Main.xba:     msgbox
&quot;OpenOffice.org Help Authoring
Framework&quot;+chr(13)+&quot;Version
&quot;+Version+chr(13)+chr(13)+&quot;(c) 2010 Oracle, Licensed under
LGPL&quot;,256
^C
____

It looks like we are not ready just yet for a release.

> Well my first approach to ask for OpenGrok on the infrastructure
> mailing list was not promising and I gave up after some emails at this
> time and concentrated on other more important things.
>
> But I will try it again because the alternatively proposed tools
> haven't convinced me. So many things where people can start working on

I am aware of that. TBH we shouldn't press the infra guys but it is clear
while that FishEye thing may be nice to read the history, it lacks the
OpenGrok search capabilities (or I need to be shown how to do
the grep test I did above).

cheers,

Pedro.

Re: IP clearance issues

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
On 3/19/12 5:32 PM, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> On 03/19/12 05:03, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
>>>
>>> I see .. That testing is very important, thanks.
>>>
>>> I guess I am rather worried that our first reviewer actually
>>> thought he could trust us on the IP review. I suspect I have
>>> also been the only looking at the NOTICE and LICENSE files.
>>
>> you were not the only one but I had nothing to add so far ;-)
>>
>> But I don't know if you have the feedback on general@incubator to my
>> request for early feedback.
>>

> Yes, and that's precisely why I am worried ;-).
>> Marvin was surprise that our LICENSE file contains ALv2 license only
>> and list not all licenses of used externals.
>>
> No finger pointing but this was a surprise for me too: we were wrongly
> advised that LICENSE should only carry the AL2.
>
> I added a DISCLAIMER file (I used Apache OpenOffice but please note that
> officially we still are the Apache OpenOffice.org incubator), And I did
> some
> more cleanups on the thirdpartylicenses.html which is a good basis to
> complete the information.
>
> I plan to merge the remaining licenses but I want to keep the same
> order as in the NOTICE file: we have the non-Apache stuff in two
> sections according to the license category.
>
>> Any opinions on this how we can address this best?
>>

> The great weakness I've seen is that we have left most work to
> Andrew and this shouldn't be a one man effort. Normal audits
> are done by N volunteers dividing the tree in N parts, and binaries
> (particularly zip files) have to be reviewed too.
I agree it shouldn't be a one man show and it depends on Andrew a little
bit. When he says he has finished the header cleanup from an Oracle
perspective we can start to take a closer look on the other remaining
files based on the RAT output.

That said ...
> if we had an updated OpenGrok or a real equivalent it would be
> a lot easier.
of course a working OpenGrok would be nice. We have a local instance
running that gets updated every night but that doesn't help you at the
moment :-(

Well my first approach to ask for OpenGrok on the infrastructure mailing
list was not promising and I gave up after some emails at this time and
concentrated on other more important things.

But I will try it again because the alternatively proposed tools haven't
convinced me. So many things where people can start working on ...

> As I said we don't need coders for this but this is a good way to
> get to know the components and code structure under OO.

volunteers are welcome indeed ;-)

Juergen