Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Илья Шипицин <ch...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/23 07:06:59 UTC

how to get list of snapshots

Hello!

I'm about to schedule backups in the following way

a) snapshots are done daily
b) increment backups are enabled

so, backup will be consistent, very old snapshots must be removed (I guess,
a week depth should be enough).

couple of questions:

1) is there any good guide for scheduling backups ?
2) is there way to get list of snapshots ? (without "ls" in directory)

Cheers,
Ilya Shipitsin

Re: how to get list of snapshots

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
> 1) ok, I can schedule snapshots using cron (snapshot's name will be ganarated from current date)
>  how can I remove snapshots older than a week ?
Delete the directory on disk.

> 2) ok, I can enable increment backups. How can I remove incremental SSTables older than 1 week ?
>  it's more tricky than with snapshots.
AFAIK delete the file on disk.

> it will lead me to several find/cron/bash scripts. Single mistake and I can delete cassandara data entirely.
Always work in the snapshots directory and you will be fine.

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton