Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by "Daniel F. Savarese" <df...@savarese.org> on 2011/03/10 17:16:59 UTC

removing attic'ed projects from www.apache.org/dist

For anyone who didn't see the original thread, the PMC received instructions
to review their release distribution areas in www.apache.org/dist and
remove any old releases.  sebb removed some older releases, and I asked
if the oro tree could be removed entirely since it has moved to the attic.
However, the same is true for ecs and taglibs, so I'm expanding this topic
to cover ECS, ORO, and Taglibs, all of which have been attic'ed, but still
have directory trees in dist/.

In message <AA...@mail.gmail.com>, sebb
 writes:
>Perhaps we should update the websites of such projects to make it
>possible to find releases?
>At present, there are no working download links for ORO.

After looking into it, I can't find any download links off of
attic.apache.org for the above projects pointing visitors to
archive.apache.org/dist/.  I may have simply missed it.

>Probably my fault when I cleared up the downloads site definitions.

I don't think you missed anything (and thanks for all the work you did
by the way).  Everything at http://attic.apache.org/process.html
appears to have been done.  I think we should remove the download links
on the dead project pages and leave it up to the Attic PMC to decide whether
they should place a link to archive.apache.org/dist/ on their site
(it's probably there somehwere and I just couldn't find it).

Whatever the case may be, I'd still like to remove
www.apache.org/dist/jakarta/{ecs,oro,taglibs} if there are no objections.
If someone can point me to instructions on updating dead project pages
(do I just modify the HTML directly on /www/jakarta.apache.org/... and check
that in?), I can remove the "Downloads" link from the oro and ecs pages.
I can't find any download links on the taglibs pages, but its attic page
has a bunch of non-functioning download links.

>BTW, this discussion should presumably now be on the Jakarta general list.
>
>Not sure why it was ever private (I responded to the original e-mail
>which was private)

Done.

daniel