Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by dkeenan <da...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2012/11/26 17:25:50 UTC

Accessing tapestry request params outwith a page

Hi. I have a utility class that I call from within my application. Is it
possible to access the current request and requests parameters from within
my utility class so I can access form parameter values that were uploaded in
the current request?

Re: Accessing tapestry request params outwith a page

Posted by Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com>.
I'm taking an educated guess here and guessing that you're trying to
implement your file upload progress bar mentioned here
http://tapestry.1045711.n5.nabble.com/Adding-a-progress-listener-to-UploadedFile-td5718197.html

To implement this you will do two things:
1. Upload a file
2. Send regular ajax requests to get the percentage complete of the file
upload.

So, you must keep in mind that 1 and 2 are separate requests on separate
threads so you will not share any request state or thread state between the
two. Instead, you will probably update a session attribute in the file
upload which can be polled by the ajax requests.

Cheers,
Lance.

Re: Accessing tapestry request params outwith a page

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
In the case of a multipart form submission (one that has a FileUpload
component involved), then request parameters are NOT visible inside the
HttpServletRequest but ARE visible inside the (Tapestry) Request.

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 9:07 AM, Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <
thiagohp@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 14:51:50 -0200, dkeenan <da...@yahoo.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>  ...just out of interest. Am I correct in thinking that form parameters
>> for a Tapestry form upload are not stored in the usual HttpServletRequest
>> parameters?
>>

> No. The Tapestry form field components generate ordinary HTML fields.
>

>  The reason I ask is that I was originally accessing the
>> HttpServletRequest object, to try and get to the form parameter I was
>> looking for. From memory, I think that my HttpServletRequst only had a
>> parameter called 'f:formdata', rather than each parameter of the form.
>>

> Please check again.
>

>  Does tapestry actually put submitted form fields into a single
>> HttpServletReqeust parameter when a form is submitted?
>>

> No. Request is just a thin layer separating most code from using the
> HttpServletRequest directly.
>

> --
> Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: Accessing tapestry request params outwith a page

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by dkeenan <da...@yahoo.co.uk>.
...just out of interest. Am I correct in thinking that form parameters for a
Tapestry form upload are not stored in the usual HttpServletRequest
parameters?

The reason I ask is that I was originally accessing the HttpServletRequest
object, to try and get to the form parameter I was looking for. From memory,
I think that my HttpServletRequst only had a parameter called 'f:formdata',
rather than each parameter of the form.

Does tapestry actually put submitted form fields into a single
HttpServletReqeust parameter when a form is submitted? If so, is this why we
inject a tapestry Request class to get access to the form parameters, rather
than accessing them from the original HttpServletRequest (as they would
actually be bundled within one parameter at that stage)?

Not sure if I'm way off the mark with my thinking there ^^^

Re: Accessing tapestry request params outwith a page

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 14:46:16 -0200, dkeenan <da...@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

> Nice. I was thinking I could only inject a request into a page class. So
> I can inject the request anywhere in the application? Great. Thanks.

Yes. It is a normal per-thread Tapestry-IoC service. Of course, this will
only work on threads that are requests.

Posted by dkeenan <da...@yahoo.co.uk>.

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 14:25:50 -0200, dkeenan <da...@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

> Hi. I have a utility class that I call from within my application. Is it
> possible to access the current request and requests parameters from
> within my utility class so I can access form parameter values that were
> uploaded in the current request?

Just inject the Request service.

Posted by Taha Siddiqi <ta...@gmail.com>.
Hi