Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> on 2002/09/11 21:34:08 UTC

[net][httpclient][webdav] Leftfield idea

[httpclient], [net] and the occasionally mentioned [webdav] seem to have
something in common in my eyes - they are all about implementing web
protocols.

Just a suggestion, but would it be a good idea if these three formed a new
top level project at Jakarta, perhaps called Protocol?

We've discussed httpclient having its own mailing list or maybe being a new
top level project. But nothing happened. It just occurred to me that maybe
as a group of 3 related subprojects, a 'Protocol' top level project might
succeed as a community.

Just an idea ;-)

Stephen

Re: [net][httpclient][webdav] Leftfield idea

Posted by Jeff Dever <js...@sympatico.ca>.
I'm not up on what is happening with the other projects, but I can speak for
HttpClient.  I wouldn't call it a "protocol implementation".  It only represents
the client side of the HTTP protocol.

HttpClient as a top level package was discussed.  I beleive the concensus was
that after a few releases in commons (2.0, 2.1 ...) then we may wish to consider
it for a top level project.  For now it best serves Jakarta by having it in
commons.

As for the mailing list for httpclient, we did everything to come to an
agreement and a successful vote.  I asked 3 times to 3 different email address
from 2 different accounts to have the new mailing list created but nobody did
anything about it ... I guess I'll try again when I'm feeling up to it. <grin>