Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by deniz <de...@gmail.com> on 2014/05/19 10:31:32 UTC

Solr 4.7.2 Core Creation Issue on SC - ZK

Hello,

I am using SC with version 4.7.2. There is already one collection/core
running on the cloud, and I am trying to add a new core according to
https://wiki.apache.org/solr/CoreAdmin#CREATE

When I add the core, I can see that it is added to collections in Cloud/file
menu, but the config part still shows the existing core, so the new one that
I add shares the same config. So the result looks like this:

  /collections
      newcore
      oldcore
  /configs
     oldcore

Are there any other settings that I need to do to see my newcore's configs
on the cloud? In this way newcore is only seeing oldcore settings, which is
not something wanted...

-----
Zeki ama calismiyor... Calissa yapar...

Re: Solr 4.7.2 Core Creation Issue on SC - ZK

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.
On 5/19/2014 2:31 AM, deniz wrote:
> I am using SC with version 4.7.2. There is already one collection/core
> running on the cloud, and I am trying to add a new core according to
> https://wiki.apache.org/solr/CoreAdmin#CREATE
>
> When I add the core, I can see that it is added to collections in Cloud/file
> menu, but the config part still shows the existing core, so the new one that
> I add shares the same config. So the result looks like this:
>
>   /collections
>       newcore
>       oldcore
>   /configs
>      oldcore
>
> Are there any other settings that I need to do to see my newcore's configs
> on the cloud? In this way newcore is only seeing oldcore settings, which is
> not something wanted...

If SC means SolrCloud (which it probably does, because you then mention
cloud), then you should not be using the CoreAdmin API, you should be
using the CollectionsAdmin API.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Collections+API

The basic operation for a long-term sustainable SolrCloud is:

* Start a zookeeper ensemble, minimum 3 hosts.
* Start the cloud members with an appropriate -DzkHost parameter
referencing all zookeeper hosts.
* Upload one or more configuration sets to zookeeper with zkCli.
* Create one or more collections with the Collections API.

After you already have a collection, it may make sense to use the
CoreAdmin API to add additional replicas to it, but creating an entire
collection from scratch with the CoreAdmin API is not something you
should try until you see how SolrCloud does it with the Collections API
... and most people will *never* need to do it that way.

Some other pages that will probably be helpful:

https://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrTerminology
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrCloud#Managing_collections_via_the_Collections_API
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Command+Line+Utilities

Thanks,