Posted to dev@xmlbeans.apache.org by Chris <ch...@hmgcc.gsi.gov.uk> on 2007/11/28 10:43:13 UTC

StackOverflowError when validating long patterns in Windows Java 1.6.0_03

I have come across a repeatable error and enclose the test case.
When the following xml is validated with a ValidatingStreamReader it
causes an SOE.
If the sample string is shorter, this does not happen. With more complex
schemas, the string does not have to be as long to still cause an SOE.
I have not yet determined whether the complexity of the pattern is a factor.
Increasing the size of the stack using "java -Xss64M" does prevent this
issue.

This only happens in Windows, Linux does not have this behaviour. This
does not happen on any platform in java 5.

Note there were changes in java6 to the way stack sizes are implemented.

I'm not sure if this is really a bug in xmlbeans since it does work on
other platforms... is there any reason why it would use more stack space
on windows? Is the default stack size different on windows and linux?

Thanks for your help

See stack trace below:
org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.regex.RangeToken.match(line 481)
org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.regex.RegularExpression.matchString(line 1673)
org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.regex.RegularExpression.matchString(line 1872)
org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.regex.RegularExpression.matchString(line 1872)
org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.regex.RegularExpression.matchString(line 1872)
org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.regex.RegularExpression.matchString(line 1872)
Chris
HMGCC

The information contained in this message (and any attachments) may
be confidential and is intended for the sole use of the named addressee.
Access, copying, alteration or re-use of the e-mail by anyone other
than the intended recipient is unauthorised. If you are not the intended
recipient please advise the sender immediately by returning the e-mail
and deleting it from your system.

This information may be exempt from disclosure under Freedom Of Information
Act 2000 and may be subject to exemption under other UK information
legislation. Refer disclosure requests to the Information Officer.

The original of this email was scanned for viruses by the Government Secure Intranet Anti-Virus service supplied by Cable&Wireless in partnership with MessageLabs. (CCTM Certificate Number 2006/04/0007.) On leaving the GSi this email was certified virus free.

RE: StackOverflowError when validating long patterns in Windows Java 1.6.0_03

Posted by Schalk Neethling <Sc...@momentum.co.za>.
Hi there Chris and Jacob,

I have run into a similar problem while using XMLBeans along side the
BIRT engine. I am using Java 5 on a Windows machine.

I discovered that it was a find and replace String task inside the BIRT
engine that was trying to determine whether a specific line in a
document was a comment or not.

I am therefore also certain that it is not and XMLBeans problem but more
then likely a JVM/Java problem.

Regards,
Schalk

Posted by Chris <ch...@hmgcc.gsi.gov.uk>.

Posted by Radu Preotiuc-Pietro <ra...@bea.com>.
Chris,

>From my experience, any Java project once it gets complex starts having
to use some -X option (and all JVMs support them), so I wouldn't be too
worried about that.

Radu

________________________________

		Chris wrote:
> [...]

anyone other
		than the intended recipient is unauthorised. If you are
not the intended
		recipient please advise the sender immediately by
returning the e-mail
		and deleting it from your system.

		This information may be exempt from disclosure under
Freedom Of Information
		Act 2000 and may be subject to exemption under other UK
information
		legislation. Refer disclosure requests to the
Information Officer.

		The original of this email was scanned for viruses by
the Government Secure Intranet Anti-Virus service supplied by
Cable&Wireless in partnership with MessageLabs. (CCTM Certificate Number
2006/04/0007.) On leaving the GSi this email was certified virus free.
		Communications via the GSi may be automatically logged,
monitored and/or recorded for legal purposes.

Notice:  This email message, together with any attachments, may contain information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and  affiliated entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted  and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please immediately return this by email and then delete it.

Re: StackOverflowError when validating long patterns in Windows Java 1.6.0_03

Posted by Jacob Danner <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,

Posted by Chris <ch...@hmgcc.gsi.gov.uk>.