Posted to jcs-users@jakarta.apache.org by "Mohammed, Yaseen " <Ya...@tais.toshiba.com> on 2008/05/15 01:38:30 UTC

Re-configure Remote cache Aux

Hi,

I am using JCS with a RemoteCache auxiliary and failover servers. I am
on jcs1.3 and jdk 1.4

I am trying to reconfigure CompositeCacheManager without restarting the
server.

For instance, changing the port number for the failover server without
needing an application restart.

Here is the code snippet

        cacheMgr = CompositeCacheManager.getInstance();

        cacheMgr.release();

        cacheMgr.shutDown();

        try{

            Thread.sleep(10000);

        } catch (InterruptedException e) { }

        cacheMgr = CompositeCacheManager.getUnconfiguredInstance();

        cacheMgr.configure("/cache.ccf");

I observed that "shutdown" call flags the listeners on remote cache
server as "not working". [Any "put"s, "remove"s are not queued up for
these listeners, once these are marked as "not working"]

However, after reconfiguring the cache manager, the old listener id is
re-assigned to the cache regions at the client.

>From this point onwards any "remove"s on the remote cache server are not
propagated to the client.

After reconfiguring cache manager, I would expect a new listener Id to
be assigned and the client to be treated as a new client to the remote
cache server.

After going through all the mail-archives in this group, I found a
reference that suggests that shutdown does not release auxiliaries like
remote and lateral caches.

If yes, was this issue fixed?

Thanks in advance,

YM

________________________________
This message may contain confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, do not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system.

Re: Re-configure Remote cache Aux

Posted by Aaron Smuts <as...@yahoo.com>.
"Hot" configuration changes are not supported.  You
can change the default region attributes, but once
configured, you cannot reliably change any auxiliary
settings.  A restart is currently required.

I'm working on a way to make it possible to change
auxiliary configurations on the fly.  I have setups
that use a dozen remote server boxes, partitioning the
data between half a dozen clusters.  I too would like
to make it possible to change an ip address or port on
the fly.

Aaron

--- "Mohammed, Yaseen "