Posted to dev@continuum.apache.org by Jan Ancajas <ja...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/20 03:25:49 UTC

Backup and restore db function

Hi,

We would like to donate the Backup & Restore functionality to
community from Maestro (http://www.exist.com/maestro). If it's ok, in
the next few days i'll submit the patches for this.

Thanks,
Jan

Re: Backup and restore db function

Posted by Maria Odea Ching <oc...@apache.org>.
Can you also provide a brief summary or picture of how this would be
integrated in Continuum? :)

Thanks,
Deng

--
Maria Odea Ching
Software Engineer | Exist Global | 687-4091 | Skype: maria.odea.ching |

Re: Backup and restore db function

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 2:27 AM, Jan Ancajas <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> For the backup there shouldn't be a problem, it will only copy the
> data to an xml file. During the restore part the unavailability period
> occurs from erasing the db up to completely restoring it.  The
> wait-until-queues-clear-out scenario will not be addressed since we'll
> never know how long the pending tasks takes long to finished and we
> are restoring the db to a previous state anyway.

It seems to me you need to stop accepting new requests and stop
building things before making a backup, otherwise you could end up in
an inconsistent state.  For example, the backup is written, *then* a
build finishes, then you go import into a new version, and it's either
missing or has the wrong info for that build.

This is handled in the current implementation because you have to stop
Continuum in order to access the embedded Derby db with the command
line tool to do the backup.

But it's probably best to take the existing code as-is, and then make
improvements.  Thanks again!

BTW, I didn't see an issue for this, so I opened
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/CONTINUUM-2098 for the Web UI work,
(and linked it to -1421 for a way to shut down).

--
Wendy

Re: Backup and restore db function

Posted by Jan Ancajas <ja...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 11:22 PM, Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 1:28 AM, Jan Ancajas <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Backup will include  user / security and build databases.  Then it
>> will be stored in a dated subdirectory of the backup directory you
>> specified. During the backup process the app will be inaccessible.
>> For the restore function, it will restore the previous state of the
>> system by specifying the directory or you can select from the recent
>> backup activity list.
>
> This uses the existing Data Management stuff, and provides a Web UI
> for it, correct?
Yes:)

> How does it make the app inaccessible?  We have an outstanding issue
> to provide a graceful shutdown, (not allow new things to be queued,
> wait until queues clear out,) will that be addressed?

For the backup there shouldn't be a problem, it will only copy the
data to an xml file. During the restore part the unavailability period
occurs from erasing the db up to completely restoring it.  The
wait-until-queues-clear-out scenario will not be addressed since we'll
never know how long the pending tasks takes long to finished and we
are restoring the db to a previous state anyway.

Thanks:)

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jan Ancajas <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@gmail.com>.