Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by S Abirami <s....@ericsson.com.INVALID> on 2021/01/28 12:11:54 UTC

PaxHeaders folder is missing upgrade from 1.8.2 to 1.10.9

Hi All,

In our build.xml, we are using the untar task to untar gzip and tar.gz file.
When we tar, always we saw a PaxHeaders.* folder in the untar location.
After upgrading from 1.8.2 to 1.10.9 version of Ant build.

We are not seeing this folder. We want to know whether missing of that folder will have any impact on the untar files.

Please help us here to understand the impact of it.

Note: I have noticed in  release not of 1.9.4 to 1.9.5 there is some changes in paxheader but not sure about the fix.

Regards,
Abirami.S

RE: PaxHeaders folder is missing upgrade from 1.8.2 to 1.10.9

Posted by S Abirami <s....@ericsson.com.INVALID>.
Thanks Stefan for clear explanation.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by S Abirami <s....@ericsson.com.INVALID>.
Hi Stefan,

We have the same tar executed in Ant 1.8.2 and Ant1.10.9 build.
We are seeing the difference of PaxHeader folder missing in latest Ant build.
Hence, thought to discuss about the change.

Additionally, In release not 1.9.4 to 1.9.5 there is some description about PaxHeader but no bug id ismentioned.
Hence, thought to understand the behaviour change in the build.

Regards,
Abirami.S

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2021-01-29, S Abirami wrote:

> Our untar task will just untar *.so file and  *.dll file inside gzip and tar.gz.
> We didn't store anything inside a PaxHeader folder.

The tool you used to create the tar archive stored "something". Some tar
tools create PAX headers even if they are technically not required.

> Just to confirm the PaxHeader missing is expected in Ant build of
> 1.10.9 version or we are missing anything.

That you've seen PaxHeaders folders in 1.8.2 is an artifact to Ant not
understanding PAX Headers. Now it does and it knows these are no real
files.

You still get the contents the creating archiver has put into the tar -
you no longer get additional files that have never been part of the tar
in the first place.

Stefan

AW: PaxHeaders folder is missing upgrade from 1.8.2 to 1.10.9

Posted by ap...@materne.de.
If I understand Stefan right - thank's for that history lesson ;-) - you
don't store anything in /PaXHeaders.
You just store an 'illegal' file, e.g. with a file path longer than 250
characters.

Then your "newer" untar tool will work as usual and just extracts these
long-path-files.
An "older" untar tool can't interpret the content of the tar in the "newer"
way.

Jan

Our untar task will just untar *.so file and  *.dll file inside gzip and
tar.gz.
We didn't store anything inside a PaxHeader folder.

I aware the usage of PaxHeader to determine the higher size of file names
available in tar. In our application, we don't have big file name which has
more than 100 characters.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.